65 - Tiny fucking nod

. . .
Xerxes Creed

I didn't know a tiny fucking nod could break my heart. Hell, two years back, I didn't even know I had a heart.

"She's here. In New York," Michael said. "Are you going to-"

"We aren't going to do shit," Zavier said dryly. "She doesn't want us anymore. She has made that pretty fucking clear."

Zavier was angry, and I didn't blame him. I was pretty angry, too. Not at her, but just at... everything. She was the best thing that had ever happened to us forever, and now she had taken herself away.

I didn't know how to deal with that. I didn't know how to deal with all of this. All I knew was that I needed her back. I wanted her back. My hands ached to grab her.

"You're not going to do anything then?" Samuel asked, sipping his champagne. We were at a Christmas party arranged by our grandmother. I knew for a fact that she was over the fucking moon because of the breakup. I didn't really know why we hadn't killed her yet. She was of no use other than bullying the women in the mafia.

"Unless you want us to kidnap her, no."

"You can kidnap her," Michael said. "Can't you?"

"You're dumb as a brick," Ashton muttered, massaging his forehead. "And at least bricks are useful."

"Like you know shit about bricks."

"I used to work in construction when you were getting your ass wiped by your dad."

"I feel sorry for the fuckers who live in the building you made."

"How about the building you live in? The building I pay for?"

"I am severely underpaid, Ashton. Olivia agreed."

All of us froze at the mention of her name. I forced a gulp of champagne down my throat and walked away. I didn't fucking need to be thinking about her.

I reached the bar and ordered some whiskey.

"Xerxes."

I looked at Gianna. "Yes?"

"I was thinking..." She looked around. "First, I am terribly sorry about the breakup."

"Okay," I said.

"And, I think, now that Olivia is out of the way..."

"You want me to get married."

"It is just a suggestion. You're not getting any younger."

I shook my head. "Ask Zavier or Ashton. I'm not marrying anyone."

"But-"

"Do you like your tongue where it is, Grandma?"

"Y-yes, I'd say so."

"So walk away. Today is not the day to test me."

I had been in a bad mood since she broke up with us, and now it was just worse. Even working failed to get my mind off things. There was no thrill of the chase when I hunted for Jackal.

It was like she had taken away my ability to feel with her.

I wondered what she was doing right now. Sleeping, perhaps. Or I hoped so. It was late.

I closed my eyes as a memory came back to me.

She was on the bed, cuddled beside Cupcake who was sleeping peacefully at my place.

"Come lay with a Cupcake and me, Xerxes!"

"Get that damned dog off the bed, baby."

"Cupcake and I are a package deal now, Xerxes." She grinned up at me. "Come on."