Chapter 1 - Superior Showings In Occasional Occurrences

Rankings. Leaderboards. Grades.

All things that are used to determine the superiority of an individual. To compare them to the superiority of another individual.

Let me ask you something, dear reader.

Do our grades really determine our intelligence?

Are the top rated scholars truly the smartest?

Does it make any sense to put existences into rankings to find out the best? The most perfect ones? Those, that stand at the top of society?

Even if we do that, what happens to them? What happens to the ones that are not on the top?

Do they get excluded? Vanish? Killed? Exterminated? Annihilated? 

No one knows what happens to those that do not stand on the top. They fall prey to the fangs of time and history, forgotten by anyone and everyone.

Let me ask you once more, dear reader.

How many people need to fail for a successful existence to emerge?

Is it one? An equivalent exchange?

Is it two? Double for one—inefficient, but ultimately superior?

Is it ten? Two hands, just to create a new finger?

Is it 100?  A massacre serving a single purpose?

We do not know. You cannot simply merge existences and expect a result.

There is no way to find out for sure. We can experiment. And experiment.. and experiment.

But ultimately, we will simply arrive at an infinite tunnel with no light at the end.

Shrouded in the unknown it shall be, for it confuses the traveler who finds himself on the path to superiority. No light. No darkness. Lost forever in the pathway.

But there was one—one existence that exceeded these rules. That exceeded what should have been possible.

No.. exceeded is an understatement. They took the borders, the constraints, the boundaries of the sane mind and did not only exceed them, but crush them. Utterly destroy them. Crumbled them to dust and whisked them away into the Void Of White.

It should not have been possible. It did not make sense. How could it? These rules were set to prevent it. To prevent something like that from ever happening.

Its existence should not have been. Reality should not have allowed it. It was illogical. Unsurmisable. Unfathomable. 

One last question, dear reader.

Do you fear that existence?

---

What was that?...

I woke up from my very short sleep and yawned loudly.