Chapter 3 - Feathered Pheasant Learns Lessons

Communication.

Quite possible the most important part of human interaction.

Without it, we would not be able to understand each other. We would not be able to express our feelings, emotions, thoughts.

Of course, other species have ways of communicating as well.

We also once used to make primitive, simple sounds—but those times are long gone by.

Only humans have created such an articulate, such a well thought out system of conversing over time. No other species comes even close to it.

How can we use communication?

Well, to answer that question, we simply have to look at humanity's greatest achievements.

We reached for the stars and went further beyond, eventually landing on the moon. Was one person responsible for this gigantic achievement? No, it was a combination of the greatest minds, the greatest thinkers of our time. Communication helps not only an individual, but is also able to help a group, and eventually humanity as a whole—if we so wish to achieve greater heights, communication becomes a fundamental part of everyday life.

"I love you"—three simple words. One of the most used phrases in the entirety of humanity. With this meager amount of words, you can express so much. There is no need for more. It is the perfect amount.

But of course, we have nonverbal communication as well.

Our gestures. Our clothes. Our attitude. Our posture. Our expression. Our build.

All of these things heavily influence the mind—be it either unconscious or conscious.

Then there is paraverbal communication.

Coughs. Sneezes. Sighs. Even those kind of things are part of communication. They signify the state of a being—transit information.

What about the other side of the coin?

Deception, lying, manipulation. All possible as well with the same methods. 

Based on your own individual ability, you can trick someone.

Act like an angel and help everyone out—but you secretly hate anyone and everyone.

Have a dangerous appearance—but be the most gentle soul anyone could have ever known.

With communication, you can help people and achieve greatness, but also cause destruction to those around you and possibly yourself as well.

It is a double-edged sword.

Now, what happens to someone who is barred from it? Someone not able to talk to anyone? Many years secluded from others, living in complete isolation.

Could such a being ever learn how to communicate properly?

That boy wanted to find out.