Chapter 14 - Face To Face

Family.

Father. Mother. Siblings. All part of it.

But what even is "family"?

According to the study of the incorporeal world, it is a place in which each member is loved and respected for who they are.

As you grow, you are encouraged to take increasing responsibility for your life decisions and the development of your own unique gifts and skills.

A family is a place of nurturing. A place where you can learn and develop yourself. Where you are cherished.

During times of hardship you are able to rely on your family. They will support you through any means possible, whether it be through the mind or worldly. Feeling accepted and understood during a personal crisis is a basic need for people. Familieswhether traditional or chosencan prove that.

They set the stage for future relationships. The first relationship any human being has is with their parents and any siblings. These relationships provide a model for what your future ones will look like. It's often not a conscious decision, but for better or worse, people often choose those close to them based on how similar they are to their own family. Family dynamics repeat themselves and reinforce beliefs about relationships and oneself.

Your mind is strongly linked to your familial bonds. Children who spent more time with their parents and siblings are generally seen as less likely to show negative symptoms. They develop much healthier and lead a happier life as a consequence of their fortunate circumstances.

These are only a few of the positive aspects of "family". The bright side, so to say. 

A lot have experienced them once in their life.

But obviously, not everyone is like that. While some only live in sunlight, others have to hide in the shadows.

When things get tough, you aren't able to rely on anyone. No one supports you. Any challenge, any adversity, you have to solve on your own. No one accepts you, for there isn't even anyone to consider your being.

Your future bonds are shattered. The stage had already been set beforecatastrophic relationships have corrupted your mind, which in turn made you unable to consider circumstances normally.

Your mind darkens due to what you have experienced. You cry, cry and cry until there are no tears left. You take the wrong path, unconsciously, for there is no one to guide you into the light, place you onto the right path.

...

What happens if these shattered bonds are forcibly reconnected?

---

Friday.

---

It was the day of the election. School-wide assemblies take place about once a month, always on Fridays five minutes after homeroom begins. Today, that's when the campaign speeches were going to happen. I usually show up right before assemblies start, but I had some preparations to take care of, so I headed to the gym early.

When I left homeroom, I spotted Hinami walking just ahead of me. Even from behind, I could tell it was her from that charismatic strut. Until last week, we'd been talking almost every day, but lately, we hadn't talked at all.