Chapter 25 - Love's Lair

Once it saw the crow disappearing into the sky, the bluebird forgot everything else.

Its friends. Its search for food. Its fundamental way of life it had been following since its inception.

But the crow was fast. Too fast. So fast, no one should have been able to keep up with it.

But what did the bluebird think?

"It doesn't matter."

It had changed its mind. Its eyes were opened by the crow.

It recognized the error in its previous ways. Now it knew to care for itself, too.

Of course, the bluebird hadn't completely discarded its fundamental nature. That is something only monsters are able to do.

No—it was still the ever-so-kind and generous bluebird everyone knew. And it would stay that way.

However, not only was it generous and kind to everyone around it: friends, family and acquaintances—it was also kind to itself.

It included itself in the circle of people one should be generous to.

That is why the bluebird made her decision, flapped its wings, and soared into the sky.

It searched and searched and searched for even the smallest trace of the crow.

But alas—nothing was to be found.

...

Just then, it saw a black feather. And it knew.

The crow is near.

So once again, it flapped its wings, even harder than before.

And finally—

it reached the beginning of the crow's path.

---

The next day was the day of our strategy meeting.

Just as Hinami had predicted, we were supposed to meet at Kitayano Station at two. I arrived at the station about five minutes early and stood there roasting in the blazing sun, wearing the pants and shoes from the mannequin outfit and one of the T-shirts Hinami had chosen for me when I was with her on our fake "date".

Apparently, the plan was for the four of us to meet up and go to Mimimi's house to talk. I'd been to a girl's room twice before—once when Hinami dragged me to her place and once when I went to Izumi's house to teach her Atafami, but both of those times were unusual situations. The experience was still totally new for me, but I never really minded it that much. However, for some reason, I was looking forward to going to Mimimi's house. I'm still trying to find out why I felt that way.

Looking around to see if anyone else was there yet, I spotted Takahiro leaning against a shady wall, looking at his phone. He exuded the aura of a "cool guy", but he was just standing there, though. Guess those at the top of the social hierarchy just have that natural ability, huh?

Based on what Hinami had taught me, I guessed it was the overall impression created from his clothes, hair, posture, expression—all the little details. Takahiro naturally scored incredibly high in all those areas. And I was going to "mess" with someone like that three times today.. it would be a daunting task, but I'm confident I could do it.