5. Tham Lo

𝑽𝒂𝒂𝒅𝒂 𝒌𝒐𝒚𝒊 𝒂𝒏𝒌𝒂𝒉𝒂
𝒀𝒂𝒂𝒓𝒂 𝒕𝒖 𝒉𝒂𝒊 𝒔𝒖𝒏 𝒓𝒂𝒉𝒂

𝑽𝒂𝒂𝒅𝒂 𝒌𝒐𝒚𝒊 𝒂𝒏𝒌𝒂𝒉𝒂𝒀𝒂𝒂𝒓𝒂 𝒕𝒖 𝒉𝒂𝒊 𝒔𝒖𝒏 𝒓𝒂𝒉𝒂

Blame it on the good mood I was in. Blame it on the thousands of compliments I received which I am very used to. Blame it on the night. Blame it on the period hormones. Blame it on the man himself.

Because I was giggling for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Although we were surrounded by young adults, dancing and jumping to the music, there was no one we seemed to give a damn about.

Ho Jaana Hai Ek Baar
Teri Rooh Ke Paar
Main Toh Reh Ke Kinare Pe Thakeya

The words flowed out through the speakers. We were starting to sway to the music, having created a decent amount of space between us. Doing a sort of warm-up for the main stanza. We waited patiently, shooting each other smiles and never breaking the stare.

Barbaadiyaan Tumse Hi Hai
Aabaadiyan Tumse Hi Hai

Together, Imran and I jump for the hook step. Right hand tapping on the left shoulder, then the right before circling around the head once. Our clap falls in sync with the clapping beat in the song after which we point toward each other for the 'Tumse hi hai' part exactly the way they do in the movie.

Ab Kya Galat Aur Kya Sahi
Jab Roohdariyan Tumse Hi Hai

I spin on my heel, my back against his front. With my left arm outstretched, I thrust my right in and out. My hip rocked sideways in sync with my right leg. My movements seize when Imran vaults from behind to stand in front of me.

Madhoshiyan Hai Madhoshiyan
In Nigahon Mein Teri Hai Madhoshiyan

Our gazes lock once again. My breath hitched in the back of my throat at the look he gave me. His eyes were darker than the night, lips twitched upward in a smile.

Doob Jaaneyan Aise Doob Jaaneyan
Phir Kabhi Na Main Tujhse Ubhar Paaneyan

He was dancing, torso swaying from side to side while I stood there still. The lyrics of the song made so much sense, it terrified me. I felt every word of the song, wanting nothing more than to lose myself in the dark ocean of his eyes.

I blinked once, slowly. And suddenly, I was taken back a year ago. Slammed against the wall of his room. Trapped between his arms that blocked my way from either side.

'I don't feel the same, Maryam! I don't love you and I want you to stop this bullshit of yours.' His words laced with malice and hate rang in my ears.

'How many times do I have to repeat myself?! Leave me the fuck alone! There is never going to be an 'us'. Ever! Okay?! Snap out of your fairy tale!'