40. Bhai Jaan

Kisi ka bhai and kisi ki jaan a.k.a Fahad Abdullah is here to wish all of you lovelies Eid Mubarak 🎉🌙.

Saira lets out a soft groan as I lower her onto the mattress

Saira lets out a soft groan as I lower her onto the mattress. After adjusting the pillow behind her head, I lean in to peck her forehead. My beautiful wife regards me with one of her lazy smiles and a caress on my cheek.

"Your feet okay?" I ask.

"As long as they're not aching, we good." Nodding my head, I lean down and peck her forehead again.

Saira cast me a long look, as I pull away and slowly asks, "Is something wrong?" 

I inhaled noisily.

Well, for starters, my brother broke down in front of me today. And that seemed like a wake-up call somehow that I had a younger sibling in dire need of a shoulder to lean on. Imran and Maryam are, khuda na khasta mere muh mein khaak, taking a divorce. They also lost their child and decided to kept mum about it because of us. Us.

"Nothing," I say instead. "Why would you ask that?"

"Because you kissed me twice."

"So that means when I kiss you twice, something's wrong? Or are you hinting that I don't kiss you enough and when I do it more than once, something has to be wrong." I counter.

She raised her hands in mock surrender and let out a breathy laugh. "Just asking."

I lean in to peck her on the nose this time. "Get some sleep."

"Mmm,"

Our heads turn to look for my phone that buzzed on the nightstand. I reach for it, something thumped in my chest on reading the caller ID.

"Why is Maryam calling at this time?" Saira utters the thought I had in mind, my frown deepening. "Has she still not returned from her friend's house yet?"

"I don't know, Jaana. Imran was supposed to go pick her up." Nonetheless, I hit answer and place the device to my ear.

"Hello?"

Silence.

"Maryam?"

Even more silence.

I had to pull the phone away to check if we were still on the line or has the call disconnected.

"Can you hear me, Maryam?"

Something moved on the other side. Like static or shuffling around. Maybe it was the wind.

"Bhaiya?" The same sound followed after.

"Haan, Maryam, it's me." I say with confusion laced in my tone. "Is everything okay? Where are you?"

"B-bhaiya wo-o--" Something that resembled the sound of a sniffle reached my ear.

Was she crying?

"Hello," I say, panic crawling up my skin like goosebumps.