34. Ishq Risk

𝑲𝒂𝒊𝒔𝒂 𝒚𝒆 𝒊𝒔𝒉𝒒 𝒉𝒂𝒊 

𝑨𝒋𝒂𝒃 𝒔𝒂 𝒓𝒊𝒔𝒌 𝒉𝒂𝒊

"Did you know about Maaz and Raeesa's baat pakki and decided not to tell me?" 

This is what I get greeted by when I come home. An angry-looking Maryam with puffed cheeks and a deep scowl is definitely my version of scary.

Cue a long pause of me processing the question and contemplating if I say the truth or not.

"Wo, main--"

"--main bolne wala tha. Time nahi mila. Dimagh se nikalgya. What else?" She challenged, placing a hand on her cocked hip. 

Okay, well, shit.

"Uhhh. . ." Setting my phone and keys by the laptop case, I think really hard. "I'm trying to come up with a new excuse but I can't form one. Tumhara ghussa is very dangerous, shona. I'm starting to sweat, see?" I swipe a hand across my forehead and show it to her. "Uff!"

"You're pathetic, Imran." She says, twirling around and disappearing into the house.

Not bothered to take my shoes off, I follow her into the kitchen. "Arey, begum, meri baat to suno--"

"Kiya sunu main?" She demands. "Ke tum Raeesa ke ghar gaye when Maaz was over with his family for their rishta and said a yes?"

"Haan, actually, Talha had phoned me saying people were coming over for Choti. I didn't know it was Maaz until I saw him sitting on the couch in their living room." Maryam huffs, turning her attention back to the pot. 

I take the opportunity to slide my arm around her waist. The next instant, the ladle she held in her hand comes in contact with mine in a hard swat.

"Owww!" 

"You deserve it," Maryam growls. 

"What do you mean by you deserve it? Meri kiya ghalti hai?"

"That you didn't tell me what you knew."

"So did Quadri boy and choti!" I retorted. "I was not in the position to break the news to you, anyway. It was not like I was getting married. How would you feel if I told you before them?" I smirk internally when she falls silent, not meeting my gaze, and does not argue back. "Jawab do!" I push.

"Imran," Both of us spin on our heels when we hear daddy's voice behind us. He stood by the water dispenser, staring or should I say glaring at me. "Are you yelling at your wife?

"Taubaaaahhh! Ek to mere ghar wale hai jo humesha meko villian banadete." I mumble under my breath, before meeting his gaze. "Nahi, apne sawal ka jawab poocha main jo aapki bahu ke paas nahi hai. She too, like you, is holding me accountable for an absurd reason."