19. Maana Ke Hum Yaar Nahi

𝑷𝒉𝒊𝒓 𝒃𝒉𝒊 𝒏𝒂𝒛𝒓𝒆𝒊𝒏 𝒏𝒂 𝒕𝒖𝒎 𝒎𝒊𝒍𝒂𝒂𝒏𝒂
𝑫𝒊𝒍 𝒌𝒂 𝒂𝒊𝒕𝒃𝒂𝒂𝒓 𝒏𝒂𝒉𝒊

"Imran, where are you? Did you forget we had to go for your sherwani trial today?" I absentmindedly nod my head at Saira baji's words over the phone although she couldn't see me

"We told you we want all the cards today. Sirf aadhe leke sar pe maar loon main?!" Beside me, Talha shouts at the man. "Teen din se nachare aap humko. You've made us pay the whole amount and for what? Half the number of cards?"

"I remember baji," I say into the phone, while killing the oh-so-ashamed man with my deathly glares. "Lekin choti si problem hogayi yaha invitaition cards ko leke." 

"I don't care, Imran!" Baji argued. "Cards are not as important as your sherwani and your suit. What are the guests going to do with your cards if the groom is not having a nice apparel on his big day?" 

"I know, I understand, and I'm so–"

 "1 hour." She affirmed, cutting me off. "You have 1 hour to distribute whatever cards you have in your hands and meet me at the store, you hear me?" 

"Ji."

"Good." With that said, she hangs up. A loud sigh leaves my mouth when I slide my phone into the pocket of my jeans and turn my undivided attention to the owner of the card shop. Talha falls silent with a heavy exhale, allowing me to take charge, and moves a step aside so the man and I were face-to-face.

"Kiska kaatre chicha?" I growl in a dangerously low voice and tip my chin.

"Arey, arey, listen to me–"

"It's been 5 days since you placed the order for the cards. Aap advance payment pooche, hum diyea. Full payment pooche, wo bhi hum diyea. Aur aap humko kiya diyea? Aadhe cards? Hum bhi aapko aadhi payment karna tha, nai?"

"Where was the time?" The old man stressed. "Itne saare cards banana asaan nahi–"

"Humare hone wale begum lawyer hai." I cut in, dismissing his never-ending list of excuses. "Aur aap jo harkat kare, uske baad aapke uper fraud ka case banta. Aur court aapki baat bhi nahi sunti, poocho kyu?"

(My wife to be is a lawyer. And after what you've done, a fraud case on you is for sure. Even the court is not going to bein your favor. Ask me, why?)

"Why?"

"Kyun ki aap poore paise wasool kare. Cheat kare, humare bharosa tode." Turning to look at Talha, I ask him. "Aur fraud ke liyea kitne time ander rehte?"

(Because you've collected the money for the order. Full payment is officially done. You've cheated us and broken our trust. And, Talha, how long do they serve for fraud?)

"It's 5 years in China. With a penalty on top. Apan to India me hai, aur bhi ziyada hunga yaha."

"Do you have kids?" I turn my attention back to the man.