42. Koi Faryaad

𝑬𝒌 𝑳𝒂𝒎𝒉𝒆 𝑴𝒆𝒊𝒏 𝑺𝒊𝒎𝒂𝒕 𝑨𝒂𝒚𝒂 𝑯𝒂𝒊 𝑺𝒂𝒅𝒊𝒚𝒐𝒏 𝑲𝒂 𝑺𝒂𝒇𝒂𝒓

𝒁𝒊𝒏𝒅𝒂𝒈𝒊 𝑻𝒆𝒛 𝑩𝒂𝒉𝒖𝒕 𝑻𝒆𝒛 𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒍𝒊 𝑯𝒐 𝑱𝒂𝒊𝒔𝒆

"Bete, how is Imran now?"

Here we go again. I think mentally.

"I don't know, ammi."

"Have you checked up with Fahad yet?"

"No, ammi."

"Did they call you?"

"Yes, ammi."

"Did you ask how he is?'"

"Yes, ammi."

"Kiya yes ammi, no Ammi karre jabse?" She snapped, irritated with my one-word answers. 

It was a late afternoon in the early days of August. Ammi and I were standing in the kitchen of Khan Manzil, and having an interrogative conversation that consisted about Imran's wellbeing.

"I don't know what else to say to you." I shrug in response, not flinching at the sudden change in her tone.

"When are you leaving for the hospital?"

"As soon as you're done cooking the food parcel for bhaiya and Saira." I say as a matter of fact.

Ammo goes silent and turns her attention back to the pot of mutton Tahari. A long exhale leaves my mouth, grateful that she decided to spare me with her interrogation. Taking a sip from the cup of tea, I shut my eyes and lean my head back on the wall of the kitchen.

"Go, get ready. The food's almost done." She instructed.

I do as she says, hopping up the flight of stairs and into my old bedroom. I fling the doors of my cupboard open, and without paying much attention, simply grab the yellow cotton kurta and white palazzo to go with it, keeping the heat outside in mind. Swiftly changing into my outfit, I throw a scarf around my head, after redoing my hair in a bun.

As I am walking into the living room, I hear voices that certainly belonged to Fahad bhaiya and Ammi.

"Phuppo, you should come to the hospital with us. Saira is losing her mind trying to think why the doctors have not discharged her. I can barely keep her from punching the nurse that comes near Muskaan with a syringe in hand for one of their never-ending blood tests." Bhaiya narrates, causing Ammi to chuckle in response.

"I would, but--"

"You should come, ammi," I say, marking my presence. "Right now."

"We have no problem waiting for you. At least, I don't have to deal with a quiet Maryam in the car." He tries to joke, earning a fake snort from me.