25. Channa Ve

𝑯𝒂𝒂𝒚𝒆 𝒃𝒉𝒖𝒍𝒍 𝒈𝒂𝒚𝒂 𝒋𝒂𝒈 𝒔𝒂𝒓𝒂, 𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒏𝒂𝒂𝒍 𝒑𝒚𝒂𝒓 𝒉𝒂𝒊
𝑺𝒂𝒂𝒓𝒊 𝒔𝒂𝒂𝒓𝒊 𝒓𝒂𝒂𝒕 𝒎𝒖𝒋𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒂 𝒊𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒛𝒂𝒂𝒓 𝒉𝒂𝒊

𝑯𝒂𝒂𝒚𝒆 𝒃𝒉𝒖𝒍𝒍 𝒈𝒂𝒚𝒂 𝒋𝒂𝒈 𝒔𝒂𝒓𝒂, 𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒏𝒂𝒂𝒍 𝒑𝒚𝒂𝒓 𝒉𝒂𝒊𝑺𝒂𝒂𝒓𝒊 𝒔𝒂𝒂𝒓𝒊 𝒓𝒂𝒂𝒕 𝒎𝒖𝒋𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒂 𝒊𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒛𝒂𝒂𝒓 𝒉𝒂𝒊

"Maryam bete, have you spoken to Imran, yet?" Baba asks, glancing at me from across the table.

"No, baba." I deny, forcing the food down my throat. It was Sunday night, my official first weekend at my maika. And, so far, it's been nothing but bliss. It felt good to be home after a while. You get to sleep in your room. Roam around in pajamas all day. Eat Ammi ke haath ka khana. Lay your head in baba's lap. Tease and bother your little brother. Watch TV. Use your phone how much ever you want. Not that I was restricted in Barkat in any way, but apne baap ke ghar ki baat nahi aati.

"Baba," Emad starts, casting me an evil look. "You have to call a person to speak to him you know? But, your daughter just won't ring my brother-in-law."

"Ghalat baat," My father clucked, shaking his head in disapproval.

"I've spoken to Saira," I offer. "And, she said everything is fine. Wo log bhi zyada calls nahi karre kyunki it's my first time after rukhsati to come home and everyone wants me to spend as much time with you as possible." We fall silent, nodding in understanding.

From the corner of my eyes, I glance at my phone that lay by my plate. Holding the spoon of rice against my mouth, my left pinkie goes to tap the surface. The screen lights up, showing the Pinterest wallpaper but no notifications or calls, or texts. I read the time that read half past 10, and managed to pacify my crazy self that he might do our 11 PM thing today. Which meant only 30 minutes to go.

With that thought in mind, I resume finishing my dinner. The table was cleared, while I was at the dishes. Picking the last plate and drying it with the dishcloth, I was about to put it in the rack when Ammi comes to stand behind me.

"Bohot samajhdaar hogayi meri beti." She cooed at the work I was doing, placed her hands on my shoulders, and kissed the side of my head.

"Aapki beti samajhdaar hi thi. Bus, aapko hi khadar nahi hui until now that I'm gone."

"Bus, bus. Itna zyada guilty mat feel karawao." She joked, to which we both chuckled. A beat of silence passed by after which she asked "Waha pe sab theek hai na?"

"Haan, Ammi. Theek kyu nahi hunga?"

"Imran treats you well? Tumhara khayal rakhta?" Her question brought a small smile to my face. Putting the dishcloth away, I spin around to face her.

"Imran treats me well, Ammi. Itna ke main kabhi imagine bhi nahi kari thi. Aapko malum, he comes home early every day from work so we can eat dinner together. Humara breakfast bhi saath hi hota. He even helps me pick my outfit for college every night before we hit the bed. And, you know what?"