7. Kuch To Log Kahenge

𝑲𝒖𝒄𝒉𝒉 𝒕𝒐 𝒍𝒐𝒈 𝒌𝒂𝒉𝒆𝒏𝒈𝒆
𝑳𝒐𝒈𝒐𝒏 𝒌𝒂 𝒌𝒂𝒂𝒎 𝒉𝒂𝒊 𝒌𝒆𝒉𝒏𝒂𝒂

𝑲𝒖𝒄𝒉𝒉 𝒕𝒐 𝒍𝒐𝒈 𝒌𝒂𝒉𝒆𝒏𝒈𝒆 𝑳𝒐𝒈𝒐𝒏 𝒌𝒂 𝒌𝒂𝒂𝒎 𝒉𝒂𝒊 𝒌𝒆𝒉𝒏𝒂𝒂

"Bete, aap khana paka sakte?"

(Can you cook?)

It was another day with yet another proposal brought to you by Tahera Begum's Mubarak rishta bureau. The Khans and my potential yet never-to-be in laws were seated in drawing room of Khan Manzil. As though Allah miya had wanted me to relax and not get all worked up today, he sent Fahad bhaiya to my rescue along Saira.

"Nahi aunty, lekin agar sab sahi hua to main aaplog ke against dowry case fight zaroor kar sakungi." The groom's elder sister's, Rafeya's eyes instantly widened at my response.

(No aunty, but if everything goes well then I can fight a dowry case against you.)

"I'm sorry, meri behen thodi mazakiya hai. Don't mind her, please." Saira pacifies, regarding them with apologetic smiles to which both the ladies nod in understanding.

I mentally roll my eyes because I knew the next thing they would praise her boy. And I also knew that Saira didn't have to go through to what I'm going through at the moment. Hence, she was being her usual caring self.

That was something she was yet to learn after moving from New York to Hyderabad where everyone is not so nice.

"Imtiyaaz was also very naughty. But things changed after he left for London."

"Why? What had happened in London?"Fahad bhaiya demands, switching onto the authoritative defensive older brother mode on in mere seconds.

"Nothing happened of that sort. Don't get me wrong. What I meant was he matured and became more responsible and aware of his duties as a son."

"Where is Imtiyaaz planning to stay after the wedding?" Tahera khala intervenes, desperately trying to give the conversation a new course which would probably be in her favor.

"London, inshallah. Once he gets a job, he's planning to move there. I hope, Maryam doesn't have an issue." Rafeya answers in a gentle tone.

"You're asking as though weve agreed to this alliance." Baba cuts in.

"Of course not, uncle. Take your time. We'll also inquire around about this proposal." Smiles were exchanged and silence befell. Dread filled in as I glanced around at everybody's faces which looked calm and content.

Allah miya, kahin baat pakki to nahi kardere aap meri? I wonder, gulping at the thought.

Looks like it's time I enter the game. Blinking my eyes, I feign a look of innocence mixed with shock.

"Why? You don't trust what we're telling you?" I ask Rafeya.

"Nahi, nahi bete. But we can't take such big decisions so quickly." She explained nicely, just the way you talk to a four-year-old. I begin to panic.