Beware of the Dragon

"No, milord, it was not St. George who killed the dragon, it was the other way around. But you know how these things are, a noble man is scared of the beast and he hires a troubadour to create a tale so he can sleep in peace. – Yes! One like me but not me, I wouldn't do that -  and then the tale spreads and some people start to believe it because,  you know, some people would just believe anything."

"How do I know, milord? Because I know the beast. No milord! Don't laugh at me, you don't understand."

"Yes, milord, you have fast horses, you have stone castles and iron swords but when the dragon is awake nothing stops her until her thirst is satiated."

"No milord, I do not tell lies. They make you believe your are mighty and you have rights over other men, they tell you are superior, powerful. But that's no real power! Nothing can stop the anger of the dragon because she is powered by our hearts and we are everywhere."

"I wouldn't do that Sir! That is a nice dagger though. This place is full of dragon's eyes and scales. You see those four men sitting at that table in the far end? And the girl who is serving them?"

"Yes milord, I do dare to speak up and I do it for the sake of your survival as I'm hearing the dragon's heart beating faster."

"So, milord, remember, you shall not wake up the dragon!"

The noble man finished his drink and stood up casually, he didn't bid farewell to his companion and walked to the door with confidence. At the very last moment, before crossing the door frame, he briefly looked back. The four men at the table, the waitress and the troubadour were staring at him, their eyes lit up with an ancestral fire.

At his room his assistant welcomed him.

"Sir, I should call our men to be ready early in the morning, I expect resistance."

"No need" said the noble man "I've decided we will not increase the taxes this year".

The assistant made a sign of acquiescence and left. The noble man yawned and laid on the bed, letting go a sigh of relief before closing his eyes.