Vermin

Charing Cross, London, TV recording studio. 

Ella was wearing a loose red blouse over skinny black jeans, sat on the sofa, legs crossed towards the show host, the one on the top lazily swinging at the rhytmn of an inaudible tune. One of her hands was resting on the sofa arm, the other playing with a hair lock, her eyes surveing the set. 

The host had a strong reputation for cornering his guests but she looked relaxed. He received a message through his ear piece, looked for the camera with the red pilot and smiled with confidence.

"Welcome to our show Ella! I'm sure the audience knows you so, allow me to spare the time for introductions, please".
"Thank you for having me Lars!" she said, "Please go ahead, I'm famous enough not to need one".

The host let a surprised laugh out. 

"Then, let's start with the first question. We've read a lot of comments on social media saying that you are too full of yourself, what would you say about that?"

"I know they mean it as an insult but I'm not concerned. Just because they feel they are lacking they want me too. False modesty is politically correct, true self love, on the contrary, is so politically offensive that people react aggressively, scared others get infected".

"I heard your behaviour is pretty corrosive" the host said.

"I'm comfortable about being corrosive. I like the idea of cleaning the rust of an improper education. Wait! Did I said education? I actually meant indoctrination".

"Oh! You would make such a good demagogue!" the host said, laughing again.

She turned her body slightly and looked straight into the camera.

"I'm a buffoon! I claim the buffoon's right to speak my mind it doesn't matter what".

"Aren't you worried about the reactions of people?"

"Isn't it funny that even you are trying to instil fear with your questions to make me fit in? Damastes! Damastes! You are everywhere!" she said pointing to the host with a theatrical gesture.

"Pardon me?" the host asked, puzzled.

"You don't know Damastes? Google it!" she burst, laughing out loud.

The host was startled. Her laugh was open, really loud, unrestrained, it was...unsettling. 

Gießen, Switzerland, near the lake. 

In a beautilful mansion, an old lady couldn't take it anymore. 

"Switch it off! That's wrong!" she exclaimed to her granddaughter. 
The teenager didn't replay. She closed the laptop and left the room.

'Too late' she thought as she crossed the door.