The Control room

There was a control room in another dimension, holographic consoles arranged in a circle, where the operators picked up subjects, sometimes randomly, sometimes on purpose.

You remember when that tomato sauce jar slid from your fingers and fell splashing its content on the kitchen floor, walls, even the ceiling? It was one of them. Do you remember that bump suddenly appearing on the road almost provoking an accident? Their work. Do you remember when you missed that bus stop and you arrived late to that important job interview? Their doing.

And, every time, they laughed madly, sometimes tears covering their distorted faces. It was such a happy life. 

But nothing lasts forever.

Here is not the place to explain how to learn to jump between dimensions, that is a subject for a treaty of itself but you must know that it is possible, even if you don't know yet how.

The 10th of September had always been a quiet day in our dimension because it was the only day of the year the control room wasn't operative. I chose it  to "enhance" their equipment.

The following day, early in the morning, they filled the room, ready to play their game. Some logged sooner than others and that is why some observed, blank stare, how they colleagues were falling unconscious, some over their console, some to the sides, some on the floor.  One by one were electrocuted when they triggered their first prank on theirs targets. The operators died and the consoles melted by the heat. 

And that is how bad luck became a natural occurrence again in our dimension and not the consequence of a sadistic operator in an unreachable room.