Haleemah

Timilehin

I'm in school for the first time in almost a month, it was a Wednesday which meant club day, I was on the tennis and basketball team, I had been put on the bleachers during tennis because I hadn't been present while the coach was teaching new techniques.

I stare at the floor when I see a familiar pair of worn out white tennis shoes, it was my best friend Haleemah, I practically jump on her.

'Walahi, you'll kill me one of these days' she chuckles, lifting me off the ground, she smelt like floral oud and I had never felt so comfortable in my life.

'You're so light' she comments finally letting go and dropping me.

I stare up at her, she was the definition of perfect, with dark glowing skin and a tall lean body that could make anyone fall immediately.

'God I missed you' she says looking at me affectionately.

'I've missed you more, why didn't you come to visit?' I query with narrowed eyes.

'You know how my parents are about me going out' she replies sheepishly.

'Oh yeah, sorry'

She sits down and pats the space beside her, I sit down. 'So what's the big story you couldn't tell me over the phone, did your dad finally drop all his girlfriends?' she asks snickering.

I hit her leg trying not to laugh, even when I was sad or have been through the most heartbreaking ordeal, she always managed to make me laugh.

'Well I don't know how to say this, I don't think I can tell you' I stutter.

'No go on, take your time' she says looking at me supportingly, I close my eyes.

'I was assaulted' I whisper, hiding my face behind my hands.

'Assaulted how?' she asks.

'Rape' I manage to mumble, fighting tears.

'By who?', her voice had a dangerous edge to it, I look up at her, she had tears in her eyes, she was shaking slightly.

'It's not important' I say firmly

'By who?' she asks again.

I don't reply. 'You're seriously not trying to protect the bastard are you?'

God no.

'Just tell me who it was'

'John'

'John who?'

'John I don't know'

'Fuck', she mutters.

'Mr Kofi would like to see you' calls a voice interrupting us.

I look up to see Zainab, her fair face scrunched with spite, she had some pimples but overall she was gorgeous. I stand up and so does Haleemah.

'He wants to see her alone' she states glaring at Haleemah.

'I'll do what I like, you cow', she hisses before grabbing my arm and dragging me across the whole gymnasium.

I see Mr Kofi's tall lanky frame waiting for me at the mini tennis court that was set up for indoor practice.

'Nice to have you back Mizz Teemi' he beams, Ghanaian accent prominent.

'It's nice to be back too' I say feigning a smile.

Haleemah gives a thumbs up and makes her way back to the bleachers, I turn around and see Zainab eyeing me

Such an asshole.

'Miss Zeeynab will be your opponent today' Mr Kofi interrupts completely violating Zainab's name.

I giggle.

Zainab shoots me a stare, 'Its actually pronounced Zainab and not Zeeynab' she says icily.

'If you say so miss Zeeynab' I tease moving to my side of the net. She stares at me coldly and I couldn't help but miss being back at school.

~~~~

I get back from school a bit late, there was no one in the house, not even the help; Labake, she was probably down the road hanging out with some fisherman who'd promised to leave his wife for her.

I take a shower and I get ready meet with Tomi, I put on a really nice pair of jeans and a loose button down, I wrap my braids into a bun and leave the house.

A/N: I'm really sorry about the grammatical errors, rereading and correcting is really hard. Thanks for reading.

Oluwatimilehin.  जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें