Sonya

Tomisan's pov

'How's Timi doing?' I ask, I hadn't spoken to her in a while.

'She's in the hospital right now, she passed out' Malik replies.

'She had to use an oxygen mask, that's all I know' he pauses 'I'm so sorry'

I'm unable to speak as I disconnect the call and dial her number.

I knew it by heart, I knew the feel of her skin, the exact shade of her eyes, the taste of her lips, the way her tongue lolled against mine, her smell, everything.

I'm broken out of my revivre by an automated voice.

'Dear customer the Mtn num'-

I fling my phone on my bed and burst into silent sobs.

'Hey are you okay' Nifemi asks from the foot of my bed.

'Yeah I'm fine' I sniffle.

'You don't seem fine, what's wrong?'

'Timilehin is in the hospital and if it's because of those'- my voice falters and I burst into a loud cry.

'Is it that serious?' she asks taking a seat on my bed.

'Malik said she was unconscious, she needed an oxygen mask! A fucking oxygen mask!'

'Calm down' she says rubbing my back 'It'll be fine, she'll be fine'

'You don't know that' I sniffed.

'You really like her don't you' Nifemi asks shaking her head.

'I do, I really do' I say looking at her with teary eyes.

'Do you want me to pull some strings and find out where she was admitted'

I nod furiously.

~~~~~

Nifemi zigzagged through the traffic, Uncle Samuel had agreed to stay at the back seat due to Nifemi's reckless behavior.

'Nifemi slow down' he protests.

'That's up to Tomi' she says cutting off a midnight black s-series.

'Oloriburuku ni e' a light feathery voice yells, it's so out of character that we all burst into laughter, easing some of the tension in the car.

We finally arrive at the hospital and it's past visiting hours.

'Madam'- Nifemi brings out a fat brown envelope and counts 15 100 dollar notes for the security man, his eyes gleam under the harsh lights.

'Thank you ma, your blessings no go seize' he says as he hastily accepts the money.

I immediately run to the front desk, 'Good evening ma, please where's Timilehin Adenuga's room located?' I ask my voice trembling.

'How did you get in here? At this time?'' she asks eyes narrowed.

'It's a long story' Nifemi calls out from my back, 'Please could you answer his question' she requests in her poshest voice.

'Let me check our record' She eyes nifemi, taking in her Áldi watch and Miscoulez bag.

'Could you please repeat the name?' 

'Timilehin Adenuga'

'She was released earlier this afternoon'

'I thought she was supposed to be discharged tomorrow' Nifemi quizzes.

She frowns as if getting a bad taste in her mouth, 'Her dad prompted for a early discharge'

~~~~

Sonya

There are noises outside as mummy scoops a pile of salad on my plate, Mr Khalid our head of security rushes inside.

'Erm sir, good evening' He turns to mummy 'Madam' Beads of sweat roll down his forehead.

'Some- erm army people dey outside, dem talk say dem dey find John'

John looks up from his phone 'What do you mean?' Daddy asks confused.

The door is immediately slammed open, mummy gasps 'Everybody keep calm' a gruff voice commands a man in camouflage, commands making sure his way to dining area, with a big gun strapped across his shoulder.

'Who the hell are you?' Daddy exclames almost jumping out of his seat.

'Who here is John Nwadike?' He asks with poison in his tone.

My brother stands up shakily, my mum immediately drags him back down.

I look towards John and try to decipher his expression, it's a mixture of confusion and fear, what did they want from him?

'What do you want?' Mummy asks 'Is it money? What?' she is shaking.

'I repeat who is John?' the man asks again.

'Timilehin, who is John? The man enquirers impatiently.

John pales as a girl in a hospital gown steps into the dining area.

'Him' she points in John's direction.

The man chuckles, it's more scary than amusing, he takes a sit opposite John and beside mummy.

She whimpers, and daddy rushes to her side,
'I don't know who you are or what branch you're from but I promise you I'll have General Bello make sure you never see the sun again'

The tall man doesn't look fazed by his threats, in-fact he doesn't take his piercing gaze off John.

'Did you know your son had the effrontery to forcefully lay his disgusting hands on my daughter?' He asks turning to look at mummy.

'Those are lies concocted by, your sick good for nothing child!' Mummy screams, I turn to look at the girl, I notice her sunken hollowed eyes first, then the disheveled appearance, bare feet and slight trembles 'Jonathan do something!' mummy yells at daddy.

I stare at John and I realize he hadn't said a thing during this whole altercation. I realize I know the girl from school, she was the girl who fainted during assembly where John was accused of raping someone, someone different.

'Young man you're in a lot of trouble' The soldier man says hoisting his gun and tapping the dining table with it.

Mummy clutches daddy's hands where he stands still perplexed.

'This was just for show' The man says, 'But I'll be watching, if I see so little as you breathing in the direction of any woman, you'll be done for, even more than before'

'We'll see in court' He nods at daddy.

He guides the girl out of the dining room. Daddy immediately calls Mr Bello, and angrily storms to the living room, mum and a terrified Mr Khalid follow him.

I glance at John.

'Is it true?' I whisper, the image of the girls sunken eyes flashing through my mind.

He stares at his plate and says nothing.

A/N: Hi y'all 🌚, it's been a while hasn't it, anyways I hope you enjoy this chapter, dw I'm gonna complete the book before 2023, that's a promise.
Ily all smmm 💕.
Edit: Chei I'm such a liar