02

AIDEN
Eight Months Ago

One Christmas present this year. Well I shouldn't say 'this year' because every year I get one Christmas present while my brothers get about ten each. I never really thought much of it because it's been going on since I came out the womb.

"Open your present." My mom said with a huge smile on her face handing me a present wrapped in red tissue paper.

I rested my knees on the floor and brought my hands over to the envelope and ripped it open.

"Before you look at it, It's for the best Aiden, Trust me." My dad told me sincerely, he's being nice...for once. What's going on?

My brothers were staring me down as if they were excited, my brothers and I didn't get along at all and I hate being the youngest it's like I'm everyone's little torture toy, I continue to rip open the envelope to reveal an invitation to.
What the fuck....

"A b- boarding school."

I glance to my right and look at my family in confusion.
"If you go to this boarding school then you can play football." My dad told me to brighten up my mood. Is this there way of basically saying they want to get rid of me?

"The college you got accepted to doesn't have a football team and we knew how much you fantasized about playing football in college." My dad continued.

I looked to my side to see my two brothers whispering something into each other's ears with grins on their faces.

"I don't understand because I've been doing football for four years now and not once have you guys came to any of my games and supported me. So if there's another reason for this tell me." I demanded furrowing my eyebrows in confusion and anger.

"Relax. You're getting a great fucking opportunity and your acting like an ungrateful dickhead." My oldest brother, Ethan growled.

"He's right, You always get these opportunities and you act like a literal brat." My second oldest brother, Gavin followed, man up, it's really annoying to watch you whine.
I rest my ass on the floor turning to Gavin and Ethan.
"Oh god. Go open your fucking presents instead of shit talking 24/7." I said standing up for myself.

"Watch your language!" My dad shouts getting in my face.
Ethan glares at me and I look down to see his fists clenched.

"Hold on Mom let me talk to Aiden really quick." Ethan says, grabbing me by the collar of my shirt pulling me to his bedroom while Gavin followed his lead with evil looks on both their faces.
"Okay come back quick, you have more presents!" Our mom yells as we drift away into the distance.
What do these fuckers want now?

Ethan pushes me against the bedroom wall and slammed the door shut making me flinch.

"I didn't mean it like that man-" I don't even get to finish my sentence when his fist slams against my face.

"Ethan," I say gasping for air, the strength of his hand almost knocking me out in one hit.
"Not again please."

Gavin comes straight for me and puts me in a head lock while Ethan is kicking my ribs. I can barely hear their voices going distinct as the pain flows through my body. This is exactly why I never stick up for myself to my brothers, they continue kicking and punching every bone, muscle, limb, vein in my body until I can barely stand.

"Tell me what you want and I'll do it," I try to say struggling for air. "anything." I repeat.

Gavin looses his hold on my throat to let me speak.
"Anything you want and I'll do it." I repeat my words once again.

"I promise" I'm practically begging when they look at me with their mischievous smirks.

"Go tell Mom that you want to go to that boarding school." They said in unison.

"Okay- okay I will." I tell them still gasping for air.
Why would me going to that boarding school be such a big deal to them?
Do they want to get ride of me that bad?

"Go clean yourself up before you tell her, You look like a fucking mess." Ethan swears at me.
'Yeah, I wonder why' Is exactly what I want to say but only a few broken cries can escape my throat

I rush to the bathroom to turn on the cool water and let it rush down on my face. I hate being at home, that's why I'm never home. I always find an excuse to hang out with my friends to avoid coming back to this living hell. At home I'm miserable and broken. My dad, my mom, my brothers. None of them know the true me, because if I show the tiniest bit of confidence I would be dead to them. My personality is preserved for the outside world.

I suddenly hear knocking on the bathroom door, setting me back to reality.

"Come in." I sigh wiping my face with a towel to absorb the water dripping all over me.

"You okay in there?" I hear my mom say as the door creaks open.

"Uhm. Actually, I have to tell you something." I remember, taking a deep breath trying to calm myself down.

"Go ahead." She says sincerely.

"I'm sorry for acting like a spoiled child today, It really is for the best and I should go to that boarding school."

"Oh thank god, I really wanted you to like your gift." She says while pulling me into a hug wrapping her relaxed arms around me.
Worst Christmas of my existence.

ೄྀ࿐ ˊˎ-

Present day

"Hey mom, pick me up after practice? My car is acting up." I say when my mom picks up the phone.

"Sure sweetie, I'll be there around 4."

"Thanks, love you mom."
"Love you too, bye." She hangs up as I put my phone on the closest ground.

After practice I see my mom pulling up near the field from a distance.

I shake off all the dirt and sand from my body and walk towards the car whilst opening the door.

"Oh goodness gracious sweet mother of Jesus, You are making my car so dirty." She says in disgust.

"You agreed to this mom." I laughed.

"You got me there. But uhm sweetie I have to tell you something since your leaving for boarding school in a week." She said slowly

Fuck. I completely forgot about that.

"Yeah?" I questioned.

"I know all of this may seem a little confusing to you but I knows what's going on between you and your brothers." She looks at me with teary eyes.

She knows?
She knows.
Fuck.

"Don't know what your talking about." I said, acting confused.

"They hit you. I see the bruises baby and I didn't know how to stop them. You know they don't listen to me. And this is the only way I can get them away from you." Her voice starts cracking.

I didn't listen to another word and pulled her in for a hug. "Thank you, Mom."

It's good to know someone noticed. I don't care if she didn't do anything about my brothers hitting me even though it would be very appreciated. But I know that my dad has abused my mom her whole life and she has never left him. I tried to convince her for years, but it hasn't changed a thing. I will not expect her to do something perfect for me if she hasn't even done it for herself yet.

Maybe boarding school could be my new start to express myself the way I could have never done at home.