19

AIDEN

"Don't be an idiot. You almost lost that last point and we could've lost!" My dad shouts in my face with a glimpse of dark fury in his eyes. His vein almost popping out his forehead.

I back away from him trying to get off the field so we aren't seen. Instead he follows my lead "Dad, we won the game." I assure him carrying on with my steps before he maneuvers his way in-front of me, moving closer and closer. A furious look hits his face and I know what's about to happen as his fist collides against the side of my face, his knuckles hitting my cheekbone hard.

His hand finally moves away from me as I hold my face applying pressure to somehow stop the pain, picking my jersey up to my eyes to stop them from watering while my nose continues to run.

I scan the field and stands nervously hoping no one witnessed what just happened, everyone has their heads turned in different directions, blinded by their own conversations. I let out a deep sigh that was very well needed to see my dad storming out as if I was the one who just punched him across the face.

My head turns to the stands to my left to see Eli waving at me with a smile on his face, I jog towards him. "Good job." He exclaims messing up my already messy hair with his hands.

He holds out my bag to me as I grab it from his arms. "Thanks, did you see Grey out there? He was better then usual." I unzip my bag grabbing my water bottle.

Grey is usually lazy on the field but this time he was more excited, way more intrigued in the game. Sophie comes running up to Eli and I, and realization hits me.

It's because Sophie came to the game. And she never goes to football games. I guess they're a thing now, but ever since they started seeing each-other he has been playing better. And he has been surprisingly doing less weed which is a shocker.

Sophie tugs her hair behind her ear, wiping the sweat off her forehead with the back of her palm. "Isn't it scorching today?"

"It's 70 degrees." I give her a side eye.
"My point."

I pull out my phone from my bag to see a message from Zara. The corners of my lips slightly rise.
She never texts me.

Congrats on your game.

You missed me so much that you watched my game? That's not something Zara would do.

And this is why I don't text you. Your game was on the Applebees TV, don't get all excited now.

And yet you watched it.

Get over yourself, I want my hair tie back by the way.

"What's he smiling about?" Eli's loud voice interrupts me.

Was I actually smiling? Shit!

I feel something grazing my ear slightly to realize it's Sophie hovering over my phone.
"He's texting Zara!" She squeals. "You guys are the cutest couple."

"Oh uhm, thanks." I say anxiously taking off my gloves. "And Eli. Let's not act like you weren't smiling at your phone the whole time during my game, we all know it was Mae."

Everyone knows that Eli is obsessed with Mae already. When Mae was in Elwood I would always catch them giving eachother small glances, I try to get the answer out of Mae to figure out if she likes Eli but all she tells me is a speech about how men are complete shit.