Monsters Like Candy Too

Y/N's pov:

       I rang the doorbell.

       Gideon's dad answered the door, with a fanged grin. He was dressed up as Dracula.

       "Hello, trick-or-tr-" He then grabbed his face. "Oh no! Ugh! AHHH!" He wrung his hands from his face. His face melted off, revealing a skull. 

       My eyes widened. "Uh..."

      Gideon's dad stopped screaming, taking the skull mask off of his face. He said in disbelief, "How aren't you scared by this? This scared all the other trick-or-treaters that came here before."

       "That's 'cause I'm not a trick-or-treater," I explained. "Pacifica invited me to the Mystery Shack."

      "Y/N? Oh, I recognize you now. Pacifica can't stop talking about you." He opened the door and allowed me to come in. "The name's Bud, by the way."

      It wasn't long before Bud showed me to the living room. Gideon was sitting next to a chair, one of the only two people who isn't dressed up. Pacifica, Aubrey, and Tiffany were looking through DVD cases. The light brown-haired woman was sitting on some dinosaur skull looking bored. 

      "Y/N, you're here!" Pacifica squealed. She grabbed me in a tight hug.

       "Can't...breathe!" I grunted. Pacifica released me. 

       "Do you like my costume?" She spun around to show off her outfit. She was dressed as a black cat.

      "Yeah, it's cute," I grinned.

      "I LOVE your costume! You make a great _______!"

      "Thanks." 

      I glanced towards Gideon's direction. He was reading a worn blue book. The cover was a silver six-fingered hand with the number 3 written on it. What is it? 

       I approached Gideon and sat next to him. I peered into the book, trying to see what I could find. An image of a trio of floating eyeballs, accompanied with a few notes, is what Gideon was studying.

      Floating eyeballs, I read, my eyes scanning over the page. Visible only at night. No retinal cord. I tried to read more, but some of the stuff was crossed out. Floating eyeballs exist?  Where does this book come from?

      "Hey, what are you-" Gideon began, but a crash was heard from the kitchen.

       "What was that?" I asked, leaping to my feet.

        Gideon gave me a cold stare, its meaning loud and clear. This isn't over.

        I gulped. I was already on thin ice with Gideon already. I silently prayed to the gods of friendship that this wouldn't end badly.

        He walked ahead,  with me, Pacifica, and her friends folowing behind. Gideon walked warily, holding his book like a weapon. More loud noises echoed inside the kitchen. Warily, Gideon opened the kitchen door.  

        What I saw next made me wonder if I was dreaming. 

         Scattered around the kitchen were several tan-orange critters. They looked like hairy gumdrops with arms and legs. Silverware and other kitchen utensils were spread out in parts of the kitchen. They were all munching or fighting over candy.

         "What are these things?" Tiffany yelled. 

        "Don't worry, they won't hurt you," Gideon assured her. "They only eat candy."