20

Welcome to Wakanda, where almost everyone knows everyone, and pleasant conversation is as common and appreciated as a glass of cold water on a boiling summer day.

That being said, Uxolo and Bucky hadn't been at the library for long before someone was approaching to strike conversation, this time an older couple Uxolo knew from one of the farmer's markets. They'd only just exited the foreign CD section when Nonhle flagged her down.

She embraced the older woman in a brief hug, arms tucked under hers (as was customary between Wakandan women) before pulling away to repeat the process with Nomlanga, the woman's lovely husband.

They chatted about this and that, catching up as best as they could on such short notice. Uxolo made sure to grill the couple on how their children were doing, including little Mhle, the bird they'd taken in after a storm destroyed it's tiny nest on the edge of the forest.

She kept an eye on Bucky too, making sure he didn't wander too far. He placed their stack of books on a nearby table before trailing back over, hovering just slightly out of a mix of awkwardness and obligation. As much as his mind was calling for it, he couldn't very well disappear just because he was uncomfortable.

He tuned in and out to their conversation, as most of it was in Xhosa, instead gazing this way and that. Then, he heard,

"Oh, he must join us for the Ekwindla Equinox!"

He would've stayed out of it if he was sure they weren't talking about him, but everyone had turned to stare at him, and Uxolo was reaching out for him so she could drag him a bit closer. He walked into their bubble, following as the hand she'd attached to the edge of his shoulder brought him to her side.

"What is that?" He mumbled quietly, mostly to her than anyone else.

"Akayazi into yokuwa Ekwinoks? Loluphi uhlobo lwesikhokelo?" (He does not know of the Autumn Equinox? What kind of guide are you?) Nomlanga gasped playfully, nudging Uxolo's shoulder.

She laughed, "Siye saxakeka kakhulu." (We have been very busy)

"Ndiyabona~" (I see) The man wiggled his eyebrows slightly, and it was almost second nature to gasp and nudge his shoulder.

Uxolo almost felt like a teenager at the man's tone, but she couldn't exactly explain away their relationship.

"James, they are referring to the autumn equinox." She explained. "It's a traditional festival we hold here, the activities begin in a month or so."

"A festival?" He repeated softly.

Nonhle nodded, "Dancing, games, food, I'm sure an American would delight in this activities."

"umakazi!" (Auntie!)

"What?" The older woman asked, shrugging with a smile, "It's true!"

"It is a time to practice gratitude and celebrate new beginnings." Uxolo further clarified, always the peacemaker. She smiled that Uxolo smile at him, and he was a goner. "It is quite fun."

"I- I- uh," He tried to respond, unable to look away. "I think that could be... fun."

The older couple cheered, a bit louder than was probably appropriate for a library of all place, after Uxolo translated his response. They chatted for a bit more, Uxolo promising to come and visit sometimes, before she waved them off to continue their explorations.

After a moment, she turned to Bucky, reaching out for his wrist.

"You do not have to participate, James, I know all of this could be.... sudden." She said, bright eyes gazing at him gently. "I do not want to overwhelm you."

Bucky nodded, understanding of her concerns but no less willing to indulge in their culture in any way they were willing to have him. Plus, he was sure Uxolo would try to drag him out for one thing or another before the festival was over. At least this way he could get a bit of a head start by being completely prepared.

"James, you do know that if you agree to going, I must teach you some traditional dances." She laughed gently, "So you do not make a fool of yourself, of course. Bast willing."