Without you - Maxiel

A pink rose petal broke from its cluster, slowly drifting through the air till it came to rest on the ground.

"Hey, Maxie," Daniel whispered.

"It's been a week, four days and... two hours." He sniffed. Slowly he reached a shaky hand up to wipe the snot from his nose.

"Um, I grew these, you know the little flower patch I started to grow on my balcony? Yeah, these are from there." He said lifting the bouquet of beautiful pink flowers.

"People are still talking about it. Can't seem to get enough." He chuckled bitterly.

"You know, I- I still feel like its my fault." Daniel said, staring down at the flowers in his hand.

"Like I could have stopped it, saved you."

Leaves off neerby trees rustled in the light breeze.

"Oh yeah, your mum sends her love," he paused.
"Your dad wouldn't let her come see you." He scoffed.
"No surprises there, hey Maxie." Daniel tried to smile, but his face fell, his attempt at a laugh coming out as a strained sob.

Daniel dropped to the ground, his knees digging into the dirt. Tears poured from his eyes. His shoulders shook as his lungs fought for air.
Sobs wraked Daniel's shoulders, his vision completely blurred by the hot tears that streamed from his eyes.

All his barriers had collapsed. His walls were destroyed as he broke down.

"Why?" Daniel whimpered.

"Why Maxie, why did they have to take you?" Daniel dropped the bouquet of flowers onto the grass beside him and bent forward to lean on his forearms.

He continued to weep with his head pressed to the grass-covered ground.

"I don't know how I'm supposed to do this without you." He howled.

"How Maxie, how am I supposed to keep going? How can you do this to me." Daniel whined. He began to hiccup in between his sobs. Sitting up on his heels Daniel looked at the black headstone.

"I love you," he murmered, more to himself than anyone. His eyes went wide in the realisation.

"I-I-I never even told you," He gasped, his heart wrenching as he realised.

"I... I didn't- I didn't tell you." he whispered in shock.

"M-Max, I love you- I love you. Please I love you!" He yelled, slamming his fists into the dirt.

"But I don't want to!" he shouted, clutching his heart with his shaky hand.

"It's all my fault!"

A loud scream left Daniel's quivering lips and he let out his hurt, his anger and frustration, his sorrow and regret.

"Why you. Why not me. For fucks sake, why not me? Why did have to be him, you bastard?" Daniel screamed up into the cloudless sky.

"He was so young." Daniel sobbed.

"Why wasn't it me in that fucking car?"

Why had they gotten out of bed that moring?

Daniel had begged Max to stay, cuddle for the rest of the day. He'd said to call in sick, say they couldn't race. It was only one race, wasn't like it was going to be their last was it...

Max had almost said yes. Had almost stayed under the warmth and safety of the bed sheets. Almost stayed curled up in Daniel's strong and secure arms.

Why, why hadn't he begged him more?

Why hadn't Daniel refused to let him go?

Why had he let him slip from his clutch?

It wasn't fair, none of it was.

"You were so small. So young." Daniel's voice shook with the effort it took to form words.

"I-I can't Max, please," Daniel mumbled, reaching his shaking hand out to grasp the cold stone.

"Please, come back to me... I can't- I can't do this without you. Please."

"Max, whos- who is going to interrupt me during interviews now, huh? Whos going to call me at five in the morning because he lost his lion teddy? Who- whos going to sneak me midnight snacks when I'm on a diet, whos going to let me cry on their shoulder? Who am I going to cuddle at night? Who- who- who am I going to love?" Daniel cried, gripping his shirt tightly in his hands.

"Maxie, don't- don't leave me."

"I can't do this without you."

"Not without you,"

"Not without my little lion."

"Please,

please,

please,

please."

"Please Max."

For the next twenty minutes, Daniel sat in silence as he weeped, just staring at the black marble headstone.

"I love you, Max." Daniel murmered, leaning forward until his forehead rested against the cold stone.

"More than either of us will ever know." Daniel pressed a kiss to the marble. Leaving the roses resting by the headstone Daniel stood.

Max watched with teary eyes as Daniel walked away.
His chocolate curls waved slightly in the light breeze, the way Max had always loved.

"I know Danny." He whispered sadly, a beautifully tragic smile glancing across his lips.

"I love you too...

more than you will ever know."