Amnesia - Max and Daniel

"I look nothing like that!" Max screeched hysterically, holding his phone as far away as his arm could extend. He looked at Daniel who was literally crying with laughter, a ludicrous look of disgust on his face.

"How the fuck do I look like Sid the fucking sloth?!" Max all but screeched. Daniel gasped for air, his hand slapping his chest, from laughing so hard.

"Max, Max stop I gotta, I gotta focus!" Daniel wheezes, trying to calm himself down as he gripped the steering wheel, in an effort to keep control.

"No!" Max shouts, genuinely pissed off, folding his arms as he slouched in the passenger seat. "You should apologise. Because if I look like that retarded sloth, then you look like a... you look like Kermit the frog." He huffs, which sent Daniel into a wheezing fit of laughter all over again. Max rolls his eyes, jutting out his bottom lip like a toddler as they roll to a stop at a red light.

The two sat in silence, other than the poorly stifled giggles from the Australian. Daniel clamped a hand over his mouth as he glances over at Max. He could barely hide the grin still split across his tanned face. He reached over, still giggling, and pats Max's thigh, cooing lightly as he tries to hold in his laughter.

"Aw c'mon baby. It was just a joke." Daniel says, trying his best to sound genuine as someone can be when still laughing at the offended individual.

Max ignores him, moving his leg like a petty toddler so Daniel's hand slips off. Daniel just shakes his head, still chuckling softly to himself, shifting into gear as the light flashes green. "How about I cook dinner tonight to say sorry?" He hums, caramel eyes gleaming as he glances over at the sulking passenger princess. Immediately, Max turns, eyes wide.

"Yes." He exclaims in delight before slumping back down to try and mask his excitement at the offer. Daniel chuckles, beaming at his boyfriend beside him. It was so easy to please him sometimes.

"Okay... spaghetti bolognaise or Carbonara with-"

A shrieking horn cuts him off, before there's a sickening crunch and the car rams forward. Max yelps, gasping as the wind is knocked out of him. Daniel's head snaps forward, his forehead bashing into the steering wheel.

The Porsche speeds forward before slamming into the car in front. Smoke billows from under the bonnet which is crumpled up against the shatter window shield like a plastic cup. Max squeezes his eyes shut and open over and over, unable to clear the blurred lights from his eyes.

He sits there... he doesn't know how long, before cold air hits his face, and hands grasp his body. In a daze, his head lols and through the blur he can make out Daniel's shape beside him. Unmoving.

"No..." He mutters weakly, a limp hand trying to reach for the other man, but he disappears from sight. Black spots begins to blot out his vision and muffled sounds try to break the surface of his ears. Nothing gets through.

Max wakes to a torch light being shone directly into his eyes and he gasps, immediately reaching up to push the thing away from his face.

"What the fu-" He croaks, lifting a hand to his face before noticing a IV line in the back of it. Looking around, Max sees a room full of people, a doctor like man beside him. He had the horrible light. He'd swear at him is his head wasn't throbbing so bad.

Wait... doctor?

"Why am I in a hospital?" Max questions, his usual rasp worse than normal. A dull throb in his left shoulder drew his attention, and he tried to shift to get a better look. A sharp pain shot down the limb making his cry out in pain.

"Max, Max, don't move. Just stay still okay? You've had a big accident." Max squinted. Christian looked back at him, worry written across his features. His eyes were slightly red and puffy. He looked tired, but relieved as he watched Max, eyes studying every feature of Max's face as if looking for a crack in the surface. Any sort of break or bruise.

"Christian? Why... why am I here?" He huffs, wincing as his lungs burn with the sharp intake of oxygen.

Christian's eyes narrow slightly, and he glances at the doctor across the bed.

"You said he didn't hit his head. Why can't he remember?" He asks the doctor sternly, his arms folding. Max recognises the ticked off expression on the man's face, one he had often seen directed towards him. Although, he seemed, angrier.

"Look mr Horner, in an accident as severe as the one Max has been involved in, it is quite common for patients to experience memory loss. Be that shot term or long. I doubt Max with experience either, but it is common for patients to experience confusion upon waking. I believe he should regain memory within a day or two." The doctor clutches his clip board close to his chest, almost visibly sweating under Christian's dark gaze.

He looks between the two men.

"I remember the fucking accident." He snaps, both men looking at him with surprised looks on their faces.

"What I don't know is why I'm in hospital!" He grunts, attempting to fold his arms but failing as the pain in his left shoulder is so sever.

Christian looks at Max with a face that reads unsurprised whereas the doctor looks the complete opposite.

"And where's Daniel?!"

***

"Danny?" Max hurries into the hospital room, or, more hobbles considering his injuries. Daniel watches him with curious caramel eyes as Max approaches, flopping down onto the bed beside him.

"Hello." Daniel says shortly, watching Max intently.

"Yeah. Funny. Hello to you too." Max huffs, rolling his eyes before reaching to cup Daniel's face.

"Are you okay? They said you, you hit your head pretty bad." Max furrowed his brows as he closely inspected Daniel face, worrying his bottom lip as his eyes caught sight of a large purple bruise just above his right eyebrow.

Daniel however, seemed to not be bothered by the bruises and bumps, watching Max curiously. "Who are you?"
That made Max pause.

"What do you mean who am I? I'm your boyfriend idiot." He snaps, narrowing his eyes at the other man. There was no hint of a smirk on his lips, nor a cheeky glimmer in his eye.

"Max..." Christian tried to cut in, looking very solemn but Max ignored him. Clutching Daniel's shoulders he shook him lightly, gaining no change in Daniel's expression.

"Daniel? Why aren't you laughing. That's not a funny joke." Max scolds, panic beginning to whirl in the pit of his stomach. "That's not funny."
Daniel tilts his head.

"What's not funny?"

Max sucks in a sharp breath, wincing at the ache in his lungs. "You..."

"Max, Daniel has amnesia. He doesn't remember anything." Christian says from behind, trying to be as gentle as he could. "Daniel doesn't... he doesn't know who you are at the moment."

"No! No! Of course he does. I'm his boyfriend. Daniel!" Max gasps, waving his hands in front of Daniel's face in the hopes he would start grinning, he would laugh, for Christ's sake if he frowned that would be better than the void look on his face. It make him shiver.

"Max..." Christian tried again. Max's shoulder shook, snot and tears mixed on his skin as he cried. Daniel watches Max break down, eyes and face still void of any real emotion.

"How can you not remember me?" Max sniffles, heartbroken.