Chapter 9: Memories

After eating, Eddie and I both fall back onto the old sofa, laughing together.

"Honestly Y/N, that must have been the best food I've ever had." Eddie says jokingly.

"What? Heated up cans of beans and two carrots? You have to be joking!" I laugh along with him at the fact that we had to eat whatever food supplies we have.

Our laughter dies down and Eddie turns towards me. I look at him, raising my eyebrow.

"What? Is there something on my face?" I ask and Eddie shakes his head.

"No. I'm just curious... I want to know more about you. I want to actually get to know you Y/N." He smiles slightly which sends a fluttery sensation through my body again.

Damn you Munson.

"Well theres nothing that interesting about me. My name is Y/N M/N L/N. I went to Hawkins Middle Schoo and Hawkins high. Most people never even knew I existed." I laugh, remembering it all.

"No one knew you existed? What's that supposed to mean? You're an attractive person, surely people knew about you. What about your friends? Surely you have s best friend!" Eddie says excitedly.

My face drops instantly at the mention of best friends.

Brenda...

"I mean... yeah. I had a best friend. She- uhh... she left... a few years ago." I try to hold back tears.

"Why did she- Oh... oh Y/N. I'm so sorry. She didn't actually leave... did she?" Eddie wraps his arms around me for comfort.

I shake my head, sobbing into his shoulder. I'm usually stronger than this so why am I letting this happen?

"Hey... I've got you darling. Cry as much as you'd like." Eddie comforts me and I grab onto him for dear life.

"Thank you..."

He lays down which makes me lay down too. I rest my head on his chest, listening to the soft sound of his heartbeat. He brings his arm up and runs his fingers through my hair.

The sensation is relaxing and my sobs come to a stop. I take a deep breath, letting out a huge sigh of relief, finally knowing I'm safe.

Safe in Eddie's arms.

We stay in a comfortable silence and we listen to each others breathing. I finally feel myself calming down and I turn my head upwards to see that he is already looking down at me.

"Hey."

"Hey sweetheart."

My heart melts at the nickname and I feel myself smiling uncontrollably. He's the only person to ever have this kind of control over me.

"You feeling any better?" Eddie asks and I nod with a sigh, laying back down on his chest.

"I am. Thanks to you." I thank him.

"You really don't have to thank me. If anything, I should be thanking you for staying here with me. I can't imagine how boring it would be if I was here on my own. Plus... I'm here with the prettiest person I have ever layed eyes on." Eddie smiles.

He wraps his arms around me tighter and I bury my face into his chest in order to hide the prominent blush on my cheeks.

"You're one to talk Munson. Have you looked in the mirror recently?" I ask with a slight laugh.

"Well... about that... I may or may not have broken my mirror a few weeks ago. Maybe that's where all of the bad luck came from." He tries to make a joke out of the bad situation he is stuck in.

He's been through so much recently. But I don't think a bit of bad luck is what's causing it.

"Maybe. Who knows. In sure everything will be okay though."

The house falls under a silence once again. Eddie and I continue to stay in the same position we are in, not wanting to move at all.

"Y/N? Can I ask you something? It's okay if you say no-"

"Oh don't be silly! Of course. Ask away." I reply and he gets all nervous.

He sits up on the sofa and so do I. I watch as he looks down at his hands in his lap as he plays with his rings on this fingers nervously.

"I just- I... uh... what are we Y/N?" Eddie asks which confuses me a little bit.

"What do you mean?"

"What I mean is... like what are we to each other? I know we just met a few days ago but... god damn it!" Eddie stands up from the sofa, cursing himself.

I have an idea what he's talking about but just in case, it's best to play dumb. I could be reading this all wrong.

"I'm still not fully understanding what you mean." I reply, cursing myself.

I'll admit, I do like Eddie. Maybe more than a friend. But with everything going on right now, is this a good idea?

"Nevermind Y/N. I'll explain another time..." he trails off, walking into the kitchen and leaving me on my own.

Did I mess up? Maybe I should have said something else. Maybe I should have given him a sign that I do have feelings for him.

But now isn't the right time. It'll come.

I just have to wait.