Chapter 20: The hijack

"So you're telling me, the plan is to use Max as bait to draw Vecna's attention and you're just gonna waltz right in and kill him?" I ask.

I've heard some stupid ideas before but this is the worst one so far.

"Well... pretty much, yeah." Steve says as if it's so simple.

"God you guys are idiots. And where exactly are we gonna find weapons?" I ask.

They all look between each other until Nancy finally speaks.

"Warzone. It's just outside of Hawkins but they have equipment there that can help us defeat Vecna." She says.

"You've got to be joking! Guns and explosives can't kill Vecna!" I argue back.

"How do we know if we haven't tried?" Erica asks and I just laugh, walking away from the group.

I sit in the corner of Eddie's room on the floor, taking a deep breath.

We could all die tomorrow. We could all die today. It's only a matter of when.

A soft knock on the door draws my attention and I look up slightly to see Eddie leaning against the door frame.

"Hey... you okay?" He asks softly, sitting down in front of me.

"Eddie, what if something happens?" I suddenly blurt out.

Eddie looks taken back by my comment but softens his face. He takes my hand in his gently caressing it.

"What do you mean by that?"

"I mean, what if I loose you? What if I loose my brother? What if you guys all die! I should be fighting Vecna alone." I say looking down.

I hear Eddie move closer to me and I take a shaky breath, trying not to think about what would happen if I lost everyone.

"Y/N... please don't say that. We're in this together. You and me. So is everyone else. And you won't loose me or your brother. We aren't going anywhere." Eddie reassures me, wiping a stray tear from my cheek.

I didn't even realise I was crying.

How pathetic.

"Okay..." I say, forcing myself to let out a small smile. But when Eddie returns one, I can't help but give him an actual genuine smile.

He always knows how to make things better.

"Come on darling, we have to ready ourselves for battle!" Eddie jokes, holding his hand out for me to take as he stands up.

I laugh, taking his hand as he lifts me off the floor.

"So how exactly are we gonna get to Warzone?" I ask and he pulls back his curtain and points to a camper van which is currently occupied by two other people.

He can't be serious.

But he is. Soon enough, we are all sneaking around the side of Eddie's home and he leads the way with Max's old Halloween mask.

One by one, we all climb through the window and into the camper van. Eddie helps me down gently and I give him a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Now how do we get this thing started?" Robin asks.

Eddie heads towards the front of the van, followed by me, Robin and Steve. He begins to hot wire the van with an excited look on his face.

"Uh... I'm not too sure I trust you to drive this thing." Robin says with a skeptical look, nervousness laced in her voice.

"Oh I'm not driving. Harrington's got it. Don't ya big boy?" Eddie smirks at Steve, stepping away from the drivers seat as Steve takes his place.

Suddenly, voices shout at us from outside, banging on the door to let them in.

Oh god. We are literally stealing their home.

"Steve drive!"

"Everyone hold on!" Steve calls back, speeding off quickly. I sit next to Eddie who is laughing his head off with excitement like a child on Christmas morning.

"Holy shit! I can't believe we just did that." I let out a sigh.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the van is reported as stolen so we will have to hurry.

"Once we arrive at Warzone, we all need to grab what we can. Anything useful for protection." Nancy says and we all nod.

As we continue on with our drive, everyone begins making small talk, trying to divert the attention away from the fact that Vecna could end an entire town today.

I sit next to Eddie, laying my head on his shoulder.

"I really can't believe that I used to know Vecna. He helped me escape from my dad." I sigh as Eddie looks at me confused.

"Yeah you didn't exactly tell any of us what you saw. I don't expect you to but-"

"No no I can tell you." I say, taking a deep breath ready to explain everything.

"The whole reason I have my powers is because of my dad. Him and the lab he worked for took children like me and experimented on us. He called us his children. Except, I was actually his biological child. He experimented on me too, giving me my abilities. But he never let me leave with my mum and brother when they visited me in the lab." I start, watching as Eddie's face turns to one of shock.

"One time when my mum and brother visited, they tried to bargain with my dad but he didn't let me leave... that's when Peter got involved. He was number one. He is who Vecna used to be. He helped us escape. He was always close to me and protected me yet, I always felt like there was something off about him. I never even knew he was 001 until the day I escaped." I explain.

I think for a moment. How exactly did Peter become the way he is?

"Oh Y/N... I'm so sorry you had to go through that." Eddie hugs me and I smile into his shoulder.

"It's okay. It's all over now."

For now.