Chapter 1 - Welcome back to Burgess

For this story to make sense, you have to have seen the movie, Rise of the Guardians. This is about Jamie's daughter Belle, taking place thirty five years since the 'boogie man' was stopped. Thank you for reading!

The characters of Jamie Bennet, Sophie Bennet, Jack Frost, North, Tooth Fairy, Sandman, Easter Bunny, Pitch Black, Seraphina, Katherine, Kailash, Ombric and Nightlight do not belong to me. No Copyright infringement intended. The characters of Belle Bennet, Damian Bennet, Hedone Bennet, Nadia Frost, Aaron Frost, Mei Frost and Ciara Bennet all belong to me rightfully.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Everyone knows Santa, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny and Sandman. The Guardians. Watching over the children of the world. Protecting them. There are thousands of people, children and adults alike, who don't believe in them. I did. Perhaps sixteen was too old. I never told anyone that I believed in them, because if I had, I would have be ridiculed. Then again, I didn't really have anyone to tell. 
I never really had any friends. But it didn't bother me too much. Just my dad, my sister, my music and books, and I'd be fine.

My Dad is to blame for my believing in the Guardians. He told me that when he was younger, he met them. And he helped them stop the 'boogie man'. Now you might think that sounds stupid, and admittedly, it kind of does, even now. But I believed him, strange huh? I will always believe him. He even told me about Jack Frost. He's the one I struggled to believe in. I mean, what's he the Guardian of? Ice? Granted there's a Guardian of teeth, but really?

Mum left us because she thought dad had gone crazy, telling me about the Guardians. I was only ten at the time and my sister was a baby, and I begged mum not to leave. I believed she got sick of my begging and crying after every argument, so she left us all. "What is it going to be like when they are older? They will be confused! Belle's going to have enough going on in her teenage years! She doesn't need this!" Mum would yell. And then she was gone. Now, though, I know what she was really yelling about, but I'll get to that later. We all had our struggles during this time, especially Dad I think. And to raise two daughters by himself would not have been easy. It was hard for dad explaining all the puberty stuff, but we got through it. And we were really happy, eventually.

Every Christmas, I would try and stay awake to see Santa, but I never could. I guess it was Sandy that kept putting me to sleep. Clever. Dad explained to me that they watch over me. Over us. And that ever since he helped them, they've been making sure that we shall always be safe from harm. From Pitch Black or whoever else comes along, threatening us and the children. I thought I was weird for believing such children's stories, but I loved them nonetheless.

Sometimes, I thought about destiny and fate, and how the universe and everything within it is woven together like a quilt. Each strand representing a person or a place or an event or an object. They would cross and twirl along all of time and space, tying things together, tying people together. But who was I tied to? My father and sister, of course. But who else would I have an effect on in my life? Perhaps I was tied to the Guardians, but I didn't know how. Perhaps fate and destiny had a plan for me. Surely that seems impossible. But I believe in the impossible.

Do you?

It was a Saturday in the middle of winter. Snow covered every inch of space around town like a blanket. The sky was full of clouds that threatened to snow some more. The wind whipped in icy waves against my covered skin and the pavement was thinly covered with ice below my feet. It was never-ending, it seemed. I was walking from the supermarket, plastic bags in hand, the weight cutting into my fingers. My scarlet hooded jacket, hugging me in an attempt to desperately keep my body warm. My skinny jeans were tucked into my thick boots to stop any cold air from entering underneath and freezing my toes. But goodness I was cold. Which was strange because I very rarely got cold, nor did I usually mind when I did. I could feel the tingling sensation constantly causing my shoulders to shake and my spine to tense up. Small bumps formed on my skin, all feeling escaping the skin on my face and hands. Without my usual music, it was only silence and the wind while walking down the suburban streets, to keep me company.