Chapter 3 - Hello Strangers

This is a short chapter... but it's a cliffhanger too, so sorry for both of those things. BUT... I LOVE WRITING THIS STORY! I didn't think the views would grow as quickly as they have, so THANK YOU SO MUCH! I LOVE YOU!

Thanks for paying attention and noticing my story. Comment, add, share, tell your friends, whatever. Thanks :D

Anyway...

______________________________________________________________________

Belle's POV

It was getting quite late. Dad had acted strange during dinner, not saying a word. Even with the TV playing, the room seemed silent. I wondered if it was my fault. Having snapped at him before. I felt guilty about it. But he needed to know that it's my decision who or what I believed in.

I noticed Ciara yawn, just as she finished her food and settled her knife and fork, neatly as I had taught her, in the center of her plate. As she did so, I saw the tooth she had lost; top row, two right from the front middle ones. Her canine teeth. Or one of them anyway. She was tired, her eyes and body dropping enough so I could see. And the sooner she went to bed, the sooner I could go to bed, and the sooner the Tooth Fairy would arrive.

I was extremely tired and I blamed the weather. Walking against the wind, that's hard and very tiring. My body ached from the pushing and the falling over. Especially when it's freezing and threatening to snow again. It had been like that for a while. Always threatening, only actually snowing once or twice a week.

"I'm going to take Ciara up to bed," I said, standing and emptying the scraps into the bin, as well as Ciara's, before stacking the plates into the dishwasher.

"Alright. Goodnight princess," dad said, lifting up Ciara and giving her a kiss on the cheek.

"Night daddy," she replied, rubbing her droopy, tired eyes. He smiled and put her down just as I walked over. She hobbled up the stairs to brush her teeth.

"Goodnight Belle," dad said with a smile.

"Goodnight dad," I replied, kissing his cheek as I did every night and morning.

"You know I love you. You're right. It is your decision who you believe in. And I promise I'll try not to pressure you into believing in anything again. I appreciate your patience and ceaseless forgiveness," he half smiled. It was one of those smiles that was more squinting of the eyes than actual smile. Did he really say that? Just like that? He dropped the thought. It felt like a weight lifted off my shoulders. No more pressure, no more telling me that Jack Frost is real.

"Thank you dad," I smiled back, "I love you." 

"I love you too sweetheart. Sweet dreams."

"If Sandy's in a good mood!" I replied with a giggle, heading up the stairs.

I sat on Ciara's bed with her head in my lap. Singing lullaby's while stroking my fingers through her long soft hair. I was so lost in thought. Just thinking about dad, mum, Ciara, the Guardians that I was beginning not to believe in. It all just jumbled around in my mind. Ciara had been asleep for a couple of hours, and dad had gone to bed not that long ago. What was taking the Tooth Fairy so long? Surely, if any of them were real, it would be her. Perhaps she knew I was waiting for her.

 I carefully hoisted my legs off Ciara's bed without disturbing her. I placed her head graciously on her pillow and draped her sheets over her shoulders.

"Goodnight Ciara," I whispered, kissing her forehead. I then turned and crept out of her room, closing the door silently behind me. The tiny click from the door seemed to almost echo down the hallway. I steadily walked to my room, trying not to creek the floor along the way. It was so quiet walking down the hall. Every now and then, I would hear a creek and get a fright, thinking someone was in the house. But wooden houses make noises sometimes, I suppose. I didn't want to turn on any lights, which, ultimately, lead to my hip colliding with the banister.

"Dammit!" I whispered to myself, holding my hip in pain. So I almost limped back to my room. Then the pain went away and I could tip toe normally. I had already brushed my teeth, so I opened my bedroom door so I could go straight to bed, in my jeans and t-shirt. I couldn't be bothered changing my clothes. I opened my door with a creek, but because of my current laziness, I just let it go, pushing it open and wiping my eyes, taking a step into my room. When I removed my hands from my eyes, my heart froze in my chest, taking my body with it.

"Uh... hi..." Easter Bunny awkwardly waved.