Chapter 25 - What Am I?!

"... what is it you aren't telling us?" I asked. Jack reached over and grabbed my hand, ready for whatever it would be. By the sounds of it, it was serious. Mum might have the answers? That confused me more than anything. If anyone were to have the answers, I couldn't understand why it would be mum. Then I remembered what she had said on my seventeenth birthday; that everything would fall into place on my eighteenth birthday. Is this what she meant?

"Since the day you were born, there was a chance you would continue my family's job. It was all about your centre..."

"Wait! My centre as in... like the Guardians have?" Mum just nodded. My centre? What did this have to do with my centre?

"But she doesn't know her centre. She..."

"No Jack, I think I do," I interrupted.

"What?" he asked confused, turning to me.

"I think my centre is love. I mean, it makes sense doesn't it? I didn't realise until I told you that I loved you," It had just hit me like a bullet! I mean... out of love I risked my life for my sister. Out of love, I helped Jack. Out of love I decided to spend pretty much my whole life looking after my family and making sure they're happy. And when I had told Jack that I loved him, that sparkle I had seen in his eyes represented my purpose. To spark that love in the eyes of others. That is my centre.

"I seriously didn't see that?" Jack realised, rubbing his forehead.

"But what does my centre have to do with anything? Your job I mean? What is it exactly that you do?" I asked. She had never really told me.

"Hedone, do you really think that her family history is involved with Belle rising from the dead?" Hedone was my mother's name. She had told me it was one of her very distant relative's names when I was younger.

"Of course I do Jamie! She died at 12pm exactly this day last year, and from what we've been told, she also rose at 12pm today! Do you think that's just a coincidence?"

"Why is 12pm so special?" I asked. I had no idea what they were talking about but I was trying to piece it together.

"That's the exact minute you were born, eighteen years ago," mum explained. Oh right. She had told me that before. But why was I born, killed and resurrected at the exact same minute?

"So... what does that mean?" Bunny asked. Mum took a deep breath.

"Belle... my job isn't floristry. That was my cover. I'm actually... well... a matchmaker I guess..."

"Matchmaker? So you like... pair people up?" I asked. Why hadn't she told me earlier?

"Yes. It was originally based in Burgess, thus the reason I lived there for so long. But then I met your father. We fell in love and had you and Ciara. But then I was told that my base was moving to Canada and I had to move with it immediately. I knew that what I did was a generational thing and I've been doing it ever since I turned eighteen. It was either you or Ciara that would... get my job. And when I saw how much love was inside of your heart, I knew it was you who would inherit it," mum explained. Inherit? You can inherit a job? Will my kids have to inherit this job from me?

"So that is why your job involves my centre? Because my centre is love and you're a matchmaker?" Mum just nodded.

"What if I don't want to spend my life being a matchmaker?" I asked. It wasn't really my ideal job... helping people to fall in love. Not that I knew what my ideal job was, it's just strange. Spending your entire life making sure other people find their love.

"It's not just match making Belle..." mum began. What the heck was she talking about?

"I'm named after the daughter of Eros and Psyche."

"As in Hedone, the Greek goddess, right?" I replied.

"Yes."

"But you told me you were named after a distant relative..."

"I am! Belle... I'm Cupid."