Chapter 7 - Down the Rabbit Hole

Thank you for reading!!! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!! This is a bit of a fill chapter, but it has a little background info on Belle and also on Jack (that you might already know).

_____________________________________________________________

While at Tooth Palace, I was shown what looked to be a little pond with the clearest water I had ever seen! Though I didn't see much clear water at home. All we had was the lake which was very rarely clear. Ciara and I go swimming there sometimes. Just on hot days to let off some steam. But besides swimming in the lake, I ice skate there. Ice skating has to be one of my favourite things to do. And when you're home schooled, there isn't usually much to do, so ice skating's my pastime.

Not only was I shown the little pond at Tooth Palace, I was also shown the beautiful mural behind it. It was of Tooth reaching out to children. It was so beautiful. I wanted to get a closer look, but I couldn't fly so there wasn't really anyway to get near it. I inwardly sighed in disappointment at this. Then I felt someone's cold fingers intertwine with mine. Jack smiled at me as he took a step onto the lake, the water beneath him freezing solid. He was planning on walking me out there. How was it that he knew exactly what I was thinking? I just smiled at him in thanks and hastily took a step onto the ice. Slightly frightened it would shatter beneath my feet, I squeezed Jack's hand tighter. He held mine firmly in response, assuring me it was safe. The ice was slightly cold through my shoes, but I just focused on Jack holding my hand. Though that was cold too. But I didn't mind. Each step I took was cautious. I trusted Jack, but I didn't know how thick this ice was or how easy it would break beneath my feet, pulling me into the water below. He kept smiling at me to reassure me that it was alright as long as he was there.

Eventually, after quite a few cautious steps, we arrived in front of the mural. It looked amazing, even up close! The detail was incredible! The Baby Tooths must have painted it for they have smaller hands and their detail would be immaculate. Jack let go of my hand to allow me to observe it closer. I took a step towards it and looked up to see Tooth in the mural. She looked so happy to see the children with a bright smile on her face. And they looked ecstatic to see her, flashing their pearly whites.

"Don't you ever wish you could reveal yourself?" I asked, half turning to Jack. Surely they wanted to be able to see the smiles depicted before me, directed towards themselves. I could not imagine how hard it would be to see children so happy because of you but never looking you in the eyes or thanking you directly or even hugging you. To watch from the sidelines would have been difficult.

"When Jamie was little, I wanted people to see me. I wanted them to notice me and... hug me, hold my hand, stuff like that. But then I found out... that whatever good comes of it, there is an equal amount of bad," Jack tried to explain, stepping over to stand beside me. That reminded me of what he had said before about there being good in every bad.

"What do you mean?"

"Jamie and his friends knowing we were real not only was good for them, because it made them happy, but it was also bad because they couldn't tell anyone. And they had to go about their lives with this major secret they would eventually blurt out to someone because it was eating them inside to hold. We don't want to put anyone under that kind of pressure."

"But, dad found out, he told Ciara and I... we believe. Isn't that a good thing?" Jack took a moment to think this over.

"That is a good thing. But it's better for the kids if they believe we're real, rather than knowing for sure; so they can make their own decision. But with you it was... different somehow. I just felt like I needed to help you believe. I'm really glad that you do believe, we all are. You were a case I just couldn't leave be. I was stubborn about breaking your stubbornness," Jack chuckled, smiling that amazing smile. Him being stubborn like me gave me comfort as I had always felt my stubbornness brought upon negativity. It amazed me that for once it had brought upon an opportunity that would go on to change my life. Between us sat a moment of comfortable silence as we all relished in the peace of the Tooth Palace.