I'm Saying Sorry In Advance

You stared down at the fifth can of peaches that you've had for the past week. Otto's actuators were almost finished, but he and Olivia wanted to try some new upgrades as well as some new power source. He claimed that the black panels would capture the sun's energy, and then convert it into fuel. You would believe it when you see it. You wished that you could just leave the city... and this canned food. And the dried fish and preserves and these pants, as practical as they were... You missed your dresses. You missed your academic meetings and you missed the tiny art studio you and your father built after you had accidentally spilled some acrylics all over your mother's apron, you missed watching Anne soar over the cattle, watching out for any predators. You wanted your old life back. Of course, you wouldn't tell Otto that, the two of you both had enough on your plate. You had been spending the past week practicing your aim and sketching everything in this warehouse, it was all so... odd. But so, so interesting. Olivia had eventually given up with her attempts to woo you. It wasn't that you weren't attracted to her... but she wasn't Otto. She did seem to also enjoy being sketched and had even started a little gallery of your sketches, mostly of her. It was flattering... Although you knew that they were just sketches, your real works... The ones that you were really proud of, they were nothing but a pile of ash now.

Snap!

You looked down and realized that you had snapped your pencil in half. You were angry-no, no you were furious. You were so close to killing him, and then he got away. A part of you wished that they would break down these doors so you could finish him once and for all. You had also been practicing with incendiary bullets, so he would burn from the inside out... Your expression darkened at the thought. The canned peach turned sour and you spit it back in the can.

"I'm going to buy some ingredients to make supper for us tonight... And get a new sketchbook and pencil," you announced.

"Do you need money? Because I have no money." Olivia looked up from under an actuator arm, her face smudged with black streaks.

"Then how did you-Oh, you stole it all?"

She nodded and went back to work, Otto gestured to his satchel. "I should still have some money that I..."
"You stole?"
"Yes, yes that I stole a while back. Just for a rainy day." he looked up "Do you need me to go with you?"
"I think I can manage, I have my weapons..."
"The city is different from a simple farming town Sweetheart-"
"You would be surprised what simple can actually mean."

"If I had a dictionary I would-"
"Otto I-I need some time to think, alright? I can take care of myself. I'll take Anne with me, and if I get hurt. She'll come to you, ok?"
He bit his lip, Olivia looked at the two of you.

"Oh let her go, I haven't had a cooked meal in ages."
"You never learned how to cook?"
"Why would I?"
"Neither of us can... And that would be nice." Otto admitted.

"I won't be gone for long, maybe two hours at the most," you promised, taking the money out of the bag.
"Be careful!" he called out after you.

"I will!" you called back with Anne perched on your shoulder, closing the warehouse door.

"You worry too much," Olivia muttered as her silver actuators handed her an attachment.

"Can you blame me?"

"...No, she's a keeper," she admitted, screwing the piece into place.

Otto just gave a nod as he went back to work.

Monty and his gang sat in a passenger car, the rest of the guests unaware of who they were riding with. Monty itched at his fake beard and grumbled something under his breath. Everything around him pissed him off, his foot tapped impatiently. But it would all be worth it... it would all be worth it. Monty inhaled the scent from your panties that he had found in the saddlebag, the scent of a dead horse polluted it. But he would be able to get a new pair soon. One of his men eyed Monty warily. He knew what happened to the women that Monty had pursued... And it wasn't pretty.