Eleven

(ep 4 pt 3)

I got up earlier than everyone else. The first thing I did was creep upstairs to see if my parents and Holly were home. They were so I crept upstairs carefully, Nancy and Robin were upstairs in Nancy's room passed out on the bed together.

I smiled at the two of them and crept into my room to get a bag of clothes and other shit I might need. Being on the run while in my own house was kind of fun.

I grabbed a small duffel bag from inside my closet and threw two outfits and my boots in there. I also grabbed items that my parents wouldn't find suspicious if they went missing. I kept my compass and watch but also took a flashlight and my cassette player with some tapes.

I also took my sketchbook, pencils and my pocket knife. It wasn't essential at all but in case I got bored, I wanted to be able to do things.

I crept back downstairs to the basement to see the guys awake and looking at papers that Robin and Nancy probably found.

"You guys understand any of this?" Steve asked.

"No," Lucas sighed.

"It's pretty straightforward," Dustin shrugged.

"Oh, straightforward, really?" Steve looked at Dustin condescendingly.

I snatched the paper from Steve and read it. "Hey, I was reading that!" Steve whispered.

"Well, what's confusing to you? So far, everyone Vecna has cursed has died except for this old Victor Creel dude that Nancy found. He's the only known survivor. If anyone knows how to beat this curse, it's him," Dustin explained.

"Yeah, that's assuming he was cursed, Henderson, which we don't even know," Steve paused. "How can Vecna have existed in the '50s? It doesn't make sense."

"As far as we know, Eleven didn't create the Upside Down. She opened a gate to it. The Upside Down has probably been around for thousands of years. Millions. I wouldn't be surprised if it predated the dinosaurs," Dustin said excitedly.

"Dinosaurs?" I looked at Dustin.

"But if a gate didn't exist in the '50s then how did Vecna get through?" Lucas questioned.

"Oh and how's he getting through now?" Steve pointed out.

"And why now?" Lucas added.

"And why then? Just pops out in the '50s, kills one family and he's like eh, I'm good. And poof he just disappears. Just... gone? Only to return thirty years later and start killing some random teens? No, I don't buy it. Straightforward my ass," Steve took back the paper from my hands. "Honestly, Henderson, a little humility now and they, it wouldn't hurt you." He sat down on an old chair.

"Sorry," Dustin murmured. He turned his head slowly to look at Max. "Any idea what she's writing? Did she sleep?"

I didn't say anything even though I knew what she was writing about. I sat down on the floor and leaned my back against the couch next to Dustin.

"I mean, would you?" Lucas responded to Dustin.

The basement door opened and I almost sprinted, thinking it was my parents. Instead, it was just Robin and Nancy.

They looked at each other with shit eating grins. "Okay, so... We have a plan," Nancy sounded out of breath.

She

"Thanks to Nancy's newspaper minions, we are now rock-star psychology students at the University of Notre Dame," Robin began.

"I'm now Ruth," Nancy smiled.