Twenty one

"You know it's your fault," Vecna told me. "You blame yourself even if you don't know it."

"It's sure as hell not my fault you slimy, limp dick dumbass," I said. I took off running out of the mall and into the upside down mindscape Vecna put me into.

"You can't run Charlie," Vecna's voice echoed.

I ran anyway. I saw the red fog that Max described and slowed down. Should I stay here or should I go in?

I ran into it, Max said it was like invading his brain.

I walked through the fog and started to see pieces of the house. The Creel House

There stood Nancy at the top of the steps. I had finally gotten to the main part of the floating and broken house.

"Char," Nancy whispered, walking slowly down the steps towards me. "Oh my god," She paused, looking at Fred, Patrick and Chrissy on display.

Meanwhile in Eddie's trailer....

"I hate to break it to you guys but hurry the hell up!" Dustin shook Charlie at the same time as Steve shook Nancy in the Upside Down.

Both of the twins' eyes were rolled to the back of their heads and their bodies shook ever so slightly.

"Find some goddamn music and fast!" Steve screamed.

"Steve said to hurry," Erica yelled to everyone.

"Charlie, stay with me, okay?" Max begged the immobile Wheeler sister.

Eddie ran around looking for any music relatively similar to Charlie's mixtape. It was a shame her walkman was still on the boat at Lovers Lake.

The lights were flickering and Eddie cursed as he looked for one of his mothers old Beatles cassettes.

"Eddie, hurry!" Dustin screamed as Charlie started to shake violently.

Eddie ran in with the Beatles tape and his walkman just as Charlie collapsed on his mattress.

Nancy collapsed in the Upside Down and Steve caught her.

Charlie sat up, with sobs racking her body. Eddie dragged her off the mattress as Steve helped Nancy back into the real Hawkins.

Both Nancy and Charlie looked like they had seen stuff, bad stuff.

"Charlie, shit," Max crouched down to be eye level with her.

Charlie was shaking and her eyes kept on scattering all over the place.

"He's... he's.... He's coming," Charlie said groggily before she passed out in Eddie's arms.

Nancy stared at her twin sister unconscious on the floor.

"We all need to talk. Now," Nancy told everyone sternly.

"My place. No one's there. My mom's working," Max said suddenly.

"Harrington," Eddie called to Steve. "Help me with Charlie."

Steve and Eddie managed to pick up Charlie and they carried her into Max's trailer.

"Red, you better have some of her bullshit music here," Eddie said, holding out his walkman to Max.

"I have better music than your noise garbage," Max scoffed and went into her room where Charlie lay sleeping. She was able to find Abba, The Beatles and Foreigner, just for Charlie.

"Once Char is awake, I will tell you everything," Nancy said, leaning against Steve. "Right now, I think... I think... I'm gonna rest for a bit." Her eyelids grew heavy and then she passed out as well.

"Well, shit," Dustin kicked the coffee table. Lucas was just shaking his head in disbelief.

"Okay, I don't know what the hell happened back there," Eddie said, pacing back and forth in the kitchen part of the trailer.

"Yeah, but whatever happened, we should assume the worst," Steve told the rest of them.

Erica, Dustin, Max and Lucas all passed out from exhaustion as well. Charlie lay on Max's bed with music blasting. She knew she was sleeping, yet couldn't wake up.

She needed to warn everyone, warn them of the dangers Vecna showed her.

Charlie couldn't move though. Her legs felt like they were on fire. What Vecna showed her and Nancy, what the now know, changed everything.

But what Charlie saw was different from what Nancy saw. Charlie saw her death, her funeral, gates ripping everything wide open. Her mom and sister were screaming in fear. Her home being ripped apart.

Charlie wanted to move. She wanted to get up. All she could think about was Billy, her happiest memory of Billy.

"William Hargrove, please would you be so kind and take off my sundress," Charlie scolded her best friend, who had put on her baby blue dress in a drunken haze.

"I just woke up like this," Billy laughed, struggling to pull off the small dress.

"This is why you shouldn't drink, you doofus," Charlie giggled as she pulled the dress over his head.

"Thank you," Billy replied. He threw on a white tee laying in the back seat next to three empty beer cans.

"Only for you, B," Charlie told him.

They had gone off on a whim road trip to Lake Michigan right before Charlie had gotten the job at Scoops Ahoy.

And now they were sleeping on the beach in Billy's blue car, waking up to the pale blue sky with Billy in Charlie's blue sundress.

"You know something, Wheeler?" Billy grinned at Charlie as they sat on the roof of his car, watching the tide.

"What is it?"

"Char, you keep me sane enough to keep living."

Of course, Charlie was taken aback by this a tad bit. "And why's that?"

"Well, there's the basic things that keep me going. Money, booze, girls. But then theres the sentimental things. My mom, my ambitions in life and my girls. Not like the girls I date. You and Max. Those are my girls. You are both my girls. I don't know what the hell I'd do if something happened to either of you," Billy leaned against me. "I know it sounds crappy and cheesy but, Charlie, it's true. Max, you, my mother. You make me want to be a better person. You make me want to, I don't know, become president of the world or something stupid like that."

Charlie stayed quiet. Billy had been open to her in the past, but never this open.

"I love you," Charlie whispered. "I love you so goddamn much."

Billy wrapped an arm around her shoulder as they watched the sun come up.

"I love you too," Billy mumbled. "Charlene Ann Wheeler, you are the Claire Standish to my John Bender. But, we're not lovers. That would be really awkward. We're more like brother and sister."

"Brother and sister who are teaching a fiery redhead some not so very good habits," Charlie chuckled.

"Promise me something Charlie," Billy asked her.

"Anything."

"Promise me that no matter what, whether it be ten days or ten years, we'll be there for each other," He looked at Charlie with a sort of plea in his eyes.

"I promise, even if I fall off the face of the Earth tomorrow, I'm gonna be there," She assured him.

"Good," He smiled and they went back to looking at the lake.

A perfect moment frozen in time.

----

A/N: hola. so right now I'm also working on a robin x charlie fic of their time working at scoops ahoy together. it will involve the upside down because i love the drama.

any suggestions or ideas for the story?