Thirty One

We were standing in a circle together. Our backs were facing each other and I could feel death watching me.

"That was close," I panted, clutching my spear so hard my knuckles were white. Eddie only nodded, he was also pale.

Suddenly, we heard it get quiet and then they were breaking in through one of the vents. Eddie and Dustin screamed and started stabbing them.

"Charlie, stay back!" Dustin yelled, trying to stay brave and valiant.

I ignored him and ran and jumped up, sticking my shield to the ceiling and blocking the hole. The nails stuck it in place.

"Is there anywhere else they could get in?" Dustin asked.

Eddie was about to reply when they found another vent and then started to claw their way in.

"Steve said we have to go if it gets bad," He yelled over the screeching. He made it through the portal and back into normal Hawkins.

Eddie looked at me and then at Dustin.

"Charlie, go. Climb up," Eddie looked at me with a fire hiding in his eyes.

I grabbed the sheets, about to climb up. Then I looked back at Eddie, who glanced at the door.

"I'm with you until the end of the line baby," I let go of the makeshift rope and grabbed my spear.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Eddie asked, frantic. I only nodded.

"What are you doing? Charlie, don't go. Eddie please. We have to stay together," Dustin was crying. "Don't go, guys please. You'll die. Eddie! Charlie! Please!"

I did my best to not let my tears spill and I looked away as I cut the rope with my spear.

"I love you Dustin. You deserve to have a good and long life. Tell my mother I'm sorry. Don't let anything happen to Max, that's my girl. Thank you, Henderson." I croaked out.

"No! Come back!"

Eddie took my hand and we left. Dustin's screams were ringing through the air as we ran out of the trailer and onto the remaining bikes.

"You better ride like hell," Eddie said. "We need to make it to Lovers Lake."

We took off with the bats after us. I only had my spear on my back and no shield. Eddie was riding behind me. I was pushing my legs so hard they ached and I screamed in pain.

But then I heard a pop and a crunch and I saw Eddie fall off his bike a few feet behind me. I screeched to a halt and nearly flew off the bike.

I looked between Eddie and myself. The bats were on him but he was fighting them off. I could still run.

Forget it. He was my life now.

I turned around and ran to Eddie, taking my spear out. I started stabbing bats as I ran towards him and I got to him in the center of the bat vortex.

"Charlie! You need to go. You should have left. Oh god. Baby, you need to go," Eddie screamed.

"I won't leave you again!" I replied, still fighting off bats.

Eddie nodded and we continued to hold them off until I felt pain at my side.

A bat had sunk its teeth into me and tore through my shirt before biting off a piece of me.

I screamed so hard. Then another came and another and another until there were five attached to me and I fell to the ground. Eddie tried to catch me but then a bat bit him in his leg and he fell next to me.

"Charlie! Oh my god! Stay with me!" Eddie looked petrified.

I managed to pull a bat off of my stomach and I touched my chest and it came back dark red.

My other hand was clutching my side where the first bat bit me.

I squeezed my eyes shut from the pain.

"Keep your eyes open Charlie," Eddie yelled as he leaned over my head, shielding me. He kept getting bit protecting me and used the shield to swing at the bats by my legs.

"Eddie," I groaned. "Eddie, I can't-"

I couldn't speak anymore.

In the distance, I heard Dustin's screams. He was coming towards us from the sound of his voice. That cheeky little bastard.

I closed my eyes, I really tried to open them but I couldn't.

"Charlie, stay with me," Eddie pleaded. "The bats are leaving. We can make it home. Charlie, please, I love you. Goddamnit."

I tried to speak but I could only gurgle my words.

I love you too, I wanted to say. Thank you for giving me everything I could ever ask for.

My vision went dark. 

I heard nothing.

I was dead.

-----

(a/n: how are we feeling? I hope you're sobbing. it only gets worse from here :) please feel free to roast me. you'll need more tissues for the next chapter)

Please comment and vote! also feel free to follow me if you want (or not). I'm in my active era rn. I promise the book will have a (mostly) happy ending. no one else will die (well...) 

but... lets not worry about that right now! 

let your feelings feel and feel free to rant/roast