Thirty Eight

Eddie happily opened the door to the house and I managed to levitate the scrambled blob that used to be Vecna.

I thought about what I said only a few days ago and shivered when I said Vecna was attracted to me.

I set the blob down in the dining room where Nancy, Steve and an awake Robin were waiting.

Eddie and Dustin were behind me, both of them even queasier now that the body blob was moved.

"Should we start chanting or something?" Dustin asked, trying to be humorous.

"No, I'm just going to burn a hole in time and space with the blob that was daddy dearest," I smiled sweetly.

"I may feel sick to my stomach but god, that was hot," Eddie muttered.

I rolled my eyes and raised my hands.

"Wait," Nancy interrupted. "I want to do it."

"You sure?" I asked.

"Positive." Nancy practically growled. "He might be dead, but he still should suffer. Especially after hurting everyone we love." This made Robin nearly faint again, and caused her little lesbian heart to explode.

"We're all here with you Nance," I told her, putting a hand on her arm.

Nancy nodded and closed her eyes, focusing on our world. Holding her hands over blob Vecna, a light began to shine that slowly ate away at the body, revealing a gate to the real Creel House.

"Let's go home," Nancy gasped, once she opened her eyes to see what she'd done.

One by one, we all climbed through the gate and crawled up onto the floor in our dimension.

We were home. I walked to the foyer, the only light coming from the moon outside.

Immediately, I called out. "Max? Lucas? Erica?"

"Oh, hello there Char. Nice of you to finally join us," A voice called from the top of the staircase.

Nancy and the others stood still in the dining room, startled by the unfamiliar voice.

But I looked up.

Jenny Cunningham leaned on the railing, looking down at me. She looked wickedly sick, like she hadn't slept in a week. And she was holding what looked like a gun.

"Jen, what are you doing?" I asked, stepping back.

"I'm doing something I should have done a long time ago. You were never my friend. Jason made me realize that. When Chrissy died, I had to hear it from someone else that you were with that long haired freak. Running around town, breaking the law like it was some stupid school rule that didn't apply to you," She started to walk down the staircase, smiling with an unnerving edge. "We took care of the cult, believe me, but they were weak fighters. And now Jason is taking care of the other freaks upstairs. A little retribution, if you will."

A gunshot went off from upstairs and Jenny turned her head, giving me enough time to pull the weapon in her hand and throw it to the ground.

"Shit," Steve cursed. He didn't hesitate to sprint up the stairs and to the attic, Nancy following close behind.

"What the hell is this?" Jenny asked. "A family affair? You kill my sister and in return, make my life a living nightmare? You're sick Wheeler, you really are."

"Charlie!" A shout from upstairs made me go numb. Max. She was yelling out my name. "Charlie! Please! Help!"

I didn't have time for Jenny's madness. I ran up the stairs, shoving her out of the way, following the sudden shouting.

In the attic, there was a fight going on. Steve was holding Jason back. Lucas was beaten up on the floor. Max was being cradled by Nancy.

And I was about to get decked by some guy in a baseball hat.

Without even moving, I made his fist stop and heard his arm dislocate with a pop. He fell to the ground yelling in pain.

I ran over to Max. She had blood streaked down her face and on her clothing. Her eyes were raw around the edges, like she had scratched away at her lashes and waterline.

"We need to get Max out of here," Nancy told me. "It looks like she still has bleeding from her eyes. And even though Vecna's dead, we don't know if another portal will open. We need to get as far away from here as possible."

I looked around. Jason and Steve were still facing off. Lucas and Erica were together in a corner. The guy whose arm I dislocated had managed to pull himself up and he was hobbling down the stairs. He was crying loudly amongst the noise.

Max was shaking and she lifted a blood streaked hand to my own. "Remember what Billy said."

Oh, I remembered. Ever since coming back from the other side, I remembered my life so clearly from the moment I was born to now. I could feel anger rising up in my chest.

I could feel the strength of everyone around me. And I screamed a high piercing scream so loud that it shook the house, it shook the ground.

An Earthquake.

Vecna was right, he wouldn't be the one to cause the destruction.

I was.

Maybe he was right all along.