Twenty Six

I woke up to Eddie viciously shushing everyone.

"Shut the hell up," I groaned as my eyes opened

"See? Now you woke her up," Eddie sighed with defeat.

"Good. Now we can go over the plan," Nancy announced and clapped her hands together.

"Erica and Lucas are on spear duty. Dustin, Eddie and Charlie are on shields. Steve and Robin, Molotov cocktails. And Max is with me," Nancy said as she started handing brown bags out.

I frowned and stood up, stretching.

"Nance, I love you. I really do. But I have totally accepted my fate and that the world is probably going to end so for the love of David Bowie, let me sleep," I said.

"God you sound like Mike right now," Nancy rolled her eyes and handed Eddie some boxes of nails

"You sound like mom," I rolled my eyes and took a hammer from Robin.

"Ooh the girls are fighting," Erica grinned and pretended to eat fake popcorn.

"Erica!" Lucas scolded.

"Just the facts," She stated.

"Anyway," Steve interrupted. "Let's go outside."

"Where are we anyway?" I asked him as Steve opened the door.

"Just outside Hawkins. My dad owns this land so I pretty much use it whenever," Steve shrugged.

"Cool," I shrugged.

Eddie pulled Dustin aside and Nancy handed him some trash can lids.

I didn't question it because, well, this was Nancy we are talking about.

Nancy was basically the ring leader as she ordered everyone around.

Eddie, Dustin and I all went over to a pile of rocks away from everyone else.

"I love my sister to death but sometimes I wish she wasn't so bossy," I groaned and plopped in the grass.

A second later, Nancy threw some trash can lids at us, narrowly missing my head.

"Jeez, someone pissed her off," Eddie watched as Nancy walked up the hill to where Max was.

I found some large rocks and we all took a lid and started banging nails into them. It wasn't too hard and given the circumstances of what I did an hour ago with Eddie, I needed to relax a bit.

Dustin chatted with Eddie while I smiled, watching on as Dustin was constantly laughing and joking around with my boyfriend.

I looked over at Erica and Lucas, who were making spears out of knives and what looked like long sticks?

I don't really know. Nancy was doing something probably illegal with Max and it involved a rifle and a saw.

Steve and Robin were filling bottles with fun and fancy flammable liquids. Try saying that five times fast.

I finished my shield rather quickly since Eddie and Dustin goofed off every five seconds.

"Eddie, you're not being a good influence," I said while Dustin tried tackling Eddie.

"Get your cute ass over here Charlie," Eddie grinned while holding off Dustin.

I sighed, putting my shield down and joined their group hug.

"Never change, Dustin Henderson," Eddie smiled. I stole Dustin's hat so Eddie could ruffle his hair.

"Charlie, not you too," Dustin looked unamused.

"Never stop being who you are, yeah?" I asked as I put his hat back on his mussed hair.

"I was never planning on it, Char," Dustin smiled and walked back over to his unfinished shield.

I looked at him get back to work and then felt a hand on my waist.

"You are a wonder," Eddie pulled me into a hug. "How are you always so effortlessly kind?" He kissed my forehead and then I rested it on his shoulder.

"In these trying times, everyone is putting up an act. We've been through this type of stuff before but this time, it's different. I can feel the fear and I can sense the pain. Kindness is just something free that I think might just help us win," I murmured as the wind tousled Eddie's hair.

"Hey, look at me. Everything will be all right, so long as you keep me next to you," Eddie's eyes met mine and the color of them just calmed me down from a panic I didn't even know was building up.

"I love you, Eddie," I watched his soft expression melt into pure joy.

"I love you more than anything, Charlie," Eddie beamed down at me and pulled me in for a short kiss.

"Hey, uh, as much as I love you guys loving each other, Nance is giving you the look she gives Mike when he's being lazy," Dustin called over to us. "Eddie, your shield just needs to be finished and I think we're leaving."

Eddie frowned, "Work is just never done."

"I think we should finish up. Nancy is like a lit fuse when it comes to deadlines," I grabbed Eddie's hand and pulled him towards Dustin.

"Your family is absolutely batshit bonkers honey," Eddie chuckled as he got back to work.

-----

A/N: hello my lovelies! sorry for not posting in like forever but I've been super busy falling in love with an actual man.

I haven't been active because I've also been plotting a coup d'etat ofc iykyk

anyway, i hope this chapter fed you. next chapter is the beginning of the battle :) 

ily <3