Chapter 5 - Game Plan

Janet
It was the end of the second week of school. I sat in my office grading the second round of essays. This week, they wrote about 'Othello' and I must say that I'm impressed with their writing skills. I was halfway through the papers when one caught my attention. 'Toni Braxton.' I read it over. Wow! She's really good. As I graded her paper, she entered my mind. There was something about her. She was obviously a woman but there was something that was different.

As I was thinking, a knock came to my office door. "Come in!" The door opened and I looked to see who it was. We'll speak of the devil. I stood up. "Hello, Ms. Braxton."

"Hey, Dr. Jackson. I was wondering if I could discuss something with you." I was shocked at her tone. It was polite.

"Sure. Have a seat." I sat the papers to the side. "What can I help you with?"

"Listen, I'm sorry for my attitude last week. I was just hiding how embarrassed I was." She looked down.

"Embarrassed about what?"

"The class. It's a lot harder than I suspected and I don't think I can keep up. I did write the paper but I was so ashamed that I didn't turn it in."

"But Toni, you are very bright. I mean your paper this week was excellent."

"That's only because I really like that play." I looked at it again. It did have a lot of passion in it.

"Okay, how can we transfer that enthusiasm to your other assignments?"

"That's what I wanted to ask you?" She took a deep breath. "I was wondering if you could help me to ensure I get a good grasp on the content and to make sure I pass. Sort of like extra credit or something." I thought about it. No student has ever asked this of me and I'm really shocked that she is. Maybe I got through to her. Why not?

"Sure, Toni. I'll be happy to help you." She smiled. It was nice.

"Thanks. Dr. Jackson."

"Call me Janet. I've never liked being called Dr Jackson, especially by students and since we'll be spending a lot of time together, we might as well be on a first name basis."

"Cool." I went on my computer and opened my calendar.

"When are you available to meet up?"

"Anytime after 5. We only have practice on the weekends or later in the evening."

"That's right, you're on the basketball team."

"Yeah." I typed some times in.

"Okay, I have you scheduled for Monday and Wednesday at 4:30, for an hour. How's that?"

"Perfect. I really appreciate it."

"No problem. I'm here for my students."

"Would it be too much to ask for a hug?"

"Of course not." I stood up and gave her a hug. I could've sworn she rubbed my butt, but I brushed it off. She does have long arms. "See you Monday, Toni."

"See you Monday, Dr. Jack....I mean Janet." I went back to grading papers as she left out. A sense of joy ran through my body. I love helping students succeed and I think this will make a big difference for her.

———————————————————————

Toni
Hook, line, and sinker. That was easier than I thought. She so easy to play. Maybe she ain't that smart. I walked out of the building with a pep in my step. When I got out there, Lawrence and Ray were waiting for me. "So?"