A Very Unclimactic Battle

for those of you still with me- bless you. i hope you are all well. your likes and comments bring me so much joy and i can't thank you enough. it's been so long even wattpad messaged me to be like bro- finish it. 

(which, speaking of, i'll probably be moving to archiveofourown after finishing this at some point- wattpad's ads are KILLING me, i can't read on this app anymore :) let me know what you think about that)

as it is, i've been really struggling to finish this- mainly because i haven't watched s.h.i.e.l.d. since middle school (i just graduated college!) and i just can't get seem to get the characterization right. i apologize for any lapses- i hope you can still enjoy!

alright, enough chit chat. here it is :D

"There he is! Man, I have a bone to pick with you!"

Leo was the first to greet Percy as Annabeth led him through the door of the base lounge that the demigods had all but taken control of. Malcolm and Harriet looked up from where they were eating breakfast at a marble counter- off brand Cheerios, because apparently S.H.I.E.L.D. hated variety and fun- to smile at their long lost friend.

The son of Poseidon waved, tired. He was still exhausted despite the best sleep he'd had in nearly a week (he suspected the pain medication had something to do with that). Percy really hadn't meant to go down for the whole day when Annabeth instructed that he rest; his goal had been a two to three hour nap at most, enough to satisfy his girlfriend but not to the point that he'd miss a whole day of strategizing against Ward. Instead, he woke up to a nurse changing the dressings on his shoulder (ouch) and Annabeth telling him it was tomorrow already.

As it was, he did feel better- walking and moving no longer came at the cost of instant lightheadedness and pain. His head felt less fuzzy. Granted, he was on a luxurious cocktail of pain meds, but still. Small victories.

Leo stood with a wince. His eyes darted to the bruise that marred the son of Poseidon's face; the ambrosia had started to heal the dark black and purple bruise into a mottled green. "Yikes, man. That's quite a shiner you've got there."

"You should see the other guy," Percy attempted with a somber smile. He was all too aware that he looked like crap. Thick gauze poked out from underneath his shirt, his arm in a sling. His face was swollen and he couldn't walk faster than a snail's pace- he looked anything but the hero his friends expected him to be. 

Leo's response interrupted his self-loathing. "I've heard a lot about the other guy. I'm starting to think I'd rather not meet him. I'm just glad to see you."

"Thanks man," Percy's voice was soft, sentimental. He let his friend pull him into a hug. 

"Watch his shoulder," Annabeth demanded sharply at her boyfriend's small wince.

Leo jumped backwards, hands raised. "Sorry, I tried not to-"

"S'okay, man, I barely even feel it."  Percy glanced back at Annabeth. Her face did a poor job of concealing her concern- he could tell that she was working hard to bite her tongue to stave off more overprotective comments. Her tanned arms were crossed tightly over her chest.

"I'm good," he reminded her. With his free arm, he reached back for his girlfriend's hand. She squeezed it twice and gave him a dazed smile.

Percy turned back to Leo. "It's good to see you. You, uh, you said you had a bone to pick?"

 The curly headed boy snorted. His hands found his toolbelt, pulling out springs and a little sheet of metal to fidget with. "Yeah, my bone to pick.  Where's my cheeseburger? It's been more than a week, Aquaman, and I'm starving."