A Little Piece of Home

THREE DAYS. It took Percy three days to wake up.

It was impressive, really, that it didn't take longer.

Annabeth thought back to when she'd first seen Percy's limp form in Lincoln's arms. He looked dead through her blur of tears when the doctor had carried him off the QuinJet into the base Coulson had rushed her too.

So much had happened since then, it felt like. The entire escape from Hydra had been- well, hell, to say the least.

Her memory of the whole thing was fuzzy; between her exhaustion from the whole getting kidnapped by a terrorist organization ordeal and the blind rush of adrenaline from getting rescued by a legally non-existent superhero organization, to debriefing on the QuinJet to a screaming match with Coulson- it had been, to put it lightly, a lot. She hadn't really slept since they'd picked them back up, either, so the days had all blurred together. Her stupid ankle wouldn't stop giving her grief, so she was stuck in a boot. Stuck. That's all she'd been feeling lately. Stuck.

Despite it all, a few things stood out to her. For one, in her avoidance of Coulson, she'd gotten awfully close to Daisy.

The first time they'd talked- really talked- was a few hours after the initial stress and panic of their rescue. They'd forced Annabeth into a debriefing, which would have sucked as it was but was even more soul numbing when all she cared about was where Percy was and how he was doing. Who the fuck cared where they took them and what they said and who was there and what did they do to you when Percy looked dead?

And then she was with him, at the makeshift hospital room at the base; he was stable but not well  by any means. He was unmoving, weak, and his usually tan skin had a gray pallor to it. They'd run a nasal cannula around his face to give him oxygen, and an IV sat in his arm for fluids. The S.H.I.E.L.D. doctors that flittered in and out of the room tsked at his low blood pressure and slower-than-average heart rate.

At some point was just her and Daisy, sitting across from each other and watching Percy. Annabeth had been annoyed at first, but she'd slowly warmed up to the company. She knew Percy liked Daisy the best, anyhow, and figured that's why they'd sicced the agent on her. After all of the nonsense of the past two weeks, she didn't really want to be alone.   She surprised herself by breaking the silence.

"This is how we first met," Annabeth had said stoically, gray eyes focused on her boyfriend's closed eyes. There was usually a relief to watching him sleep; in the off chance he wasn't having a nightmare, he managed to look peaceful. The stress lines faded and he almost looked his age. But now his face was painted black and blue, and Annabeth wasn't sure what to do with the information that he'd collapsed using his powers- that he'd been out of it long before he tried summoning an entire ocean underground. Lincoln had said he'd overexerted himself. How long would he be out? Would he be okay when he woke up? The last time he'd gone this overboard with his powers, Percy had nearly died and had to be nursed back to life by a Titan's daughter.

Then again, the last time had been years ago at Mount St. Helens. Annabeth just wish she knew where this situation stood on a scale of one to volcano eruption.

"Yeah?" Daisy encouraged, startling the blonde. She'd forgotten she'd even spoke, caught up in her head. Daisy's worried, quiet concern made her sigh. She reserved herself to telling the story.

"We were twelve. He didn't know he was a demigod, and his mom was trying to get him to camp. Like, the safe place for us? Um. He fought a monster and used his powers before he even really knew what he was doing. Wiped his energy. He was out for a few days, and they made me take care of him." Annabeth looked down at her feet and cursed the lump forming in her throat. "I was taller than him back then. He hated it."