Nightmares

Daisy was pleasantly surprised that she had been able to convince Lincoln to come back to base with her relatively easy. Her spirits were high as she led him with their hands intertwined through streets and towards the small clearing in the forest near the town where they had landed the Quinjet. Despite the fact that she and Lincoln were both drenched, she was having the time of her life. She didn't get much normal in her life, given that the alien DNA flowing through her, but it was fun to pretend that she was just a normal girl with a gorgeous guy. Even if just for a little while.

Of course, the ATCU had to make sure she knew that would forever just be a fantasy. Especially when they decided to show up out of freaking nowhere (seriously- did S.H.I.E.L.D. need to invest in teleportation technology? How did they appear so out of the blue all of the freaking time?).

The "Advanced Threat Containment Unit," or a fancy way of saying "let's imprison and torture people who happen to have super powers," was a newfound pain in S.H.I.E.L.D. 's butt. The United States government had erected them out of the dust in the assumption that their original agency responsible for dealing with the weird crumbled under the HYDRA infiltration. Coulson's agency and the government's were in a constant state of tug of war with inhumans in the middle. Daisy could confidently say that S.H.I.E.L.D. was much more qualified to handle the newly found powered people in terms of experience and understanding, but unfortunately the obstacle that was hard to overcome was the fact that their division didn't exist in the eyes of the public. And also the mere factor that the government provided support and media usage to said ATCU.

But anyway, that was a lot of backstory and information that wasn't really needed to explain why the ATCU showing up in the middle of her pick-up mission was extremely frustrating.

She and Lincoln had maybe ten more minutes of walking to go to escape the small town when the unwanted words of warning from Agent Roekey blasted into her ear. "Daisy?" his deep voice questioned anxiously. "We don't know how, but somehow the ATCU-"

Daisy dropped Lincoln's hand and brought it to her ear, pressing the piece deeper into it in order to hear the words better. Lincoln's eyes widened as her look hardened. "What? You're going to have to repeat that."

A long sigh. "They're closing in. Agent Hale has the Quinjet ready and I can-"

"How long?"

"What?"

Daisy jerked her head and picked up the pace, encouraging the dirty blonde lightning boy next to her to do the same. "I said, how long until they get here? How many?"' It was just their luck that they chose this exact moment to find him. Coincidence her ass. Somebody somewhere had it out for her.

Roekey fired off some more details, giving them less than five minutes to prepare themselves for a confrontation, two against fifteen to twenty. The odds were great.

Note the sarcasm.

Lincoln was growing impatient and anxious as he continued listening in onto the conversation, doing his best to piece together the one sided responses. He barely grasped onto the terms ATCU and little time. Daisy was ignoring his frantic questions as she marched up the pavement, instead blabbering into what he assumed was an earpiece. It felt surreal. Just when he thought the majority was over... more? He had done fine avoiding the agency on his own, and as soon as he got his supposed 'help,' things were going to go downhill? Fear was replaced by anger. She promised him safety. What was this? A trap?

He jumped in front of her, cutting her off. "Daisy, what's going on?" His voice came out much more strained than he had intended for it to be, but got her to look at him all the same.