Friends and Foes

Endgame destroyed me. Freaking destroyed me.

But, moving on. Thanks for all the positive responses to the last chapter, i love you all so so much. Hope I don't disappoint with this one! it's mostly unedited so yikes but here goes nothing

p.s. also yeah im sure the security in the tower would be much more advanced but pshhh let's just blame happy i mean his password is password what are we going to do. ignore the plot holes ;P

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stark's lab had grown quiet in the few hours following the whole Hackers situation, the only noise being that of the constant hum of machinery and the clinking of tools against metal. Tony was currently invested in updating the interface of the spider suit, in adding a diagnostic that aligned with Peter's shooters. He could have had the kid do it himself- he was smart enough, certainly. Probably smarter than he was at his age, and at 15 he was presenting projects to professors at MIT. Doing it himself, though, gave him peace of mind. Peace of mind that he wouldn't get an alert from 'Karen' that his kid was pancaked on the ground ever again. At least not from a humiliating lack of webs. No, this way the AI would scream at Peter that his web fluid was low before he had to.

Although that wasn't what had caused him to fall in the first place, was it? No, it was the damn genius kid getting crafty in chemistry class, messing around with viscosities and adherence and delinquencies of solutions of expired high school chemicals . It wasn't like Tony offered his lab to the teenager every time he had the chance. It wasn't like his cabinets were stuffed with elements and mixtures that most definitely pass school safety ratings. It wasn't like he himself was there to help and test new additions to his multi-million dollar suit before Spider-Man went jumping off a roof with them.

That's what he told himself he was angry about- the ignorant use of equipment. Not the intense fear that accompanied the idea of coming to an empty lab for the rest of his life without his intern blabbering endearingly next to him. It was a nice change to the old blaring of old rock from the room's speakers, something Pepper could agree with.

It was in this thought that he recognized the odd nature of the silence. It wasn't like his young prodigy to hold his tongue while working; his spoken thoughts and ideas had become a welcome backdrop to his work.

"Hey, Underoos," he called up, not lifting his eyes from the program in front of him. The blue glow from the hologram cascaded his features in a cool ambiance as he typed in a few extra lines of code.

With no response, he turned back, the old chair underneath him squealing in protest. He mentally listed build new chair for later. "Hey, kid. Pete. Spiderling, you good over there?"

Said teenage superhero was hunched over his desk, staring intently at the web shooters in front of him. His mind was clearly elsewhere; his good hand fiddled with the tape around his upper arm while his eyebrows furrowed tighter together. His shoulders were bunched around his ears, his chocolate eyes cloudy. He gave no sign that he had heard his mentor.

Tony frowned.

"FRIDAY, save project under Spider-Boy and clear," he directed as he brought himself to his feet, ignoring at the subtle ache in his joints as he did so. He watched in contempt as the AI responded in compliance before the hologram dissipated, leaving only the cluttered space of the workshop before he padded over to the teenager.

He jumped when he placed a steady hand between his shoulder blades, tensing before his brown eyes recognized the 'threat.'

"Oh, hey Mister Stark," he sighed tiredly. "Sorry, I just-"