Collision

HAPPY NEW YEAR! Let's start it off with some angst and teamwork and explosions, shall we? I'm splitting this chapter into 2 parts, because it ended up being so long. You'll get the other one within a week ;)

Enjoy!

...

 IT WAS A WHIRLWIND of Tony pushing the information he'd found at them- coordinates and floorplans and entry codes- to organizing the kids' transport back to the team and the resultant introductions. Coulson's head was spinning, from the unexpected revelation of a certain superhero's identity to the continued grief over the unknown situations his agents were in.

He drove them to the base in near silence, no one interested in conversation. Not even the Leo kid uttered a peep. The director could only assume the true gravity of the situation had fallen upon them; or at the very least, a bitter grudge agaisnt him they were more than justified to have. He met Malcolm's eyes once in the rear view mirror.

The startling gray mirrored Annabeth's. Coulson, with a start, realized that the trait must have come from their mother.

Their mother, Athena. The goddess.

The black S.H.I.E.L.D. van careened slightly into the next lane until he refocused on the road.

The guards stationed along the base entryways raised eyebrows as the teenagers trailed him towards the main conference room. It must have been a sight; the director leading a group of high school kids as though they were on a field trip. They all unknowingly marched past the elevator Percy had had a breakdown in, past the lab and the interrogation room that had pushed this mess far past a reasonable, easy clean up.

Coulson could tell the rest of the team was uncomfortable with their stand-ins; a pyrotechnic sixteen year old with a sense of humor worse than Hunter's, a scowling emo, an angsty magician with bangs and uptight twenty something blonde. The hacker, Mary-Kate, had been sent back to report to their friends (by her own volition- spunky as she was, she was also smart. She wasn't strictly needed for any role, so there was no point in risking her life). The four remaining were still every bit as determined as they had been in their initial declaration that they were joining the mission.

May had already pulled him aside to question his judgment, as though he hadn't done the same a thousand times over. He explained to her what they could do, their own commitment to fight, but he could tell by her expression she didn't agree with his decision to let them stay. Why would she? He'd already proven he couldn't handle two demigods, much less five more.

But he was the director. The man in charge. So even if Bobbi and Hunter were watching him warily as he proposed the plan, even if Fitz fidgeted with his hands while Lincoln stood far off in the corner glaring at the tops of his dirty trainers, they had to listen. They had to, for better or worse.

He avoided their judging stares as he spoke. "If we can get in, preferably to wherever they have Skye, Mack, and the kids locked up, Leo can start a fire or explosion that will force Ward to evacuate. He'll have to move them, making them much more vulnerable. We wait for them to move to the exits before ambushing them for extraction."

"We're going to ambush Hydra at their own place?" Hunter raised a brow. "Sounds like a bloody nightmare to me."

Malcolm frowned. "This place is highly secure, right? How are you getting all of us in, and all of us out? Nico can't-"

"I can take everyone in. I'm not sure about out; it's been a while since I've tried more than two people. It might take a lot out of me."

Coulson nodded slowly at the two, thinking. "We can reanalyze the intel we have to find the weakest points of entry, but yes- a direct transfer in might be necessary. And, look-I'm not saying it's going to be easy. It won't. We don't know what condition they're going to be in, how many agents are stationed where... Stark said the plans are outdated by at least two years. It's more than likely HYDRA has put it under construction to eliminate threats like... well, us."