Chapter 2: The Father

Chapter 2

ATHANASIA

I woke up in a different room. I feel much better than last night...then I remember that man and the knight. Where am I?!

"Don't move, you're still sick."

That voice. I know that voice, I look beside me and he's sitting by the window. He's not looking at me but he's talking to me. Is he going to kill me?

"Athy's fine," I said. Can I go home now? I am going to make Lily worry.

"Why do you keep saying that?" I wanted to roll my eyes but I don't want him to see that.

"It's true. Athy's fine." But soon I might lose my mind and maybe my life.

"You have a very high fever. Did no one ever look after you. What is the physician doing?"

Wow. Why would he asked that stupid question.

"Lily is the only one who takes care of Athy. No one else care for Athy, no one called a physician," I answered then suddenly look at me.

"Why would no care for you?" He asked. Please don't ask that question. I might end up telling the truth.

"Because Athy's father abandoned her. No one will care for an abandoned princess," I answered.

"Did they tell you that?"

I nodded.

"Who told you that?" He asked. This Claude, if I have a chance, I might smack him in the face. Did he want to know how much I suffer and if he thinks it's not enough, he's going to make me suffer even more?!

"Everyone except Lily. Lily's nice," I shut my mouth. I keep saying her name, he might kill her knowing she's  on my side. I mean, he already did.

Anyway. He's been asking me these questions and I keep answering them without thinking. Is this the effect of being back in time?

Am I cursed? I mean, maybe I am. Having a father like that? I think, I am.

°☆°

Claude is still in this room. I don't know what he's thinking. He's my father, but I don't think he deserves to called father...not like he wants me to call him that.

"Do you know who I am?"

Yes. The one who killed me.

"Your Majesty. Athy knows you're the Emperor," I answered and I know how much you hate me. You might murder me today.

He didn't say anything. He looked at me, most probably examining my whole being.

Athanasia. That's my name. Did he even know my name?

Then there's a knock on the door. Felix entered the room, looking worried? I don't know there's something in his eyes.

Behin him is...Lily. My eyes widened when I saw her, did this guy called her?! What is he planning?

"Lily!" I run into her and hugged, is he going to kill us now?

"Princess!" She said while hugging me tight.

"Y-Your Majesty," she curtsy. I can see her trembling. She's pale, she probably know what's going to happen to us.

"Lilian York. You're the one who be me to be this child's nanny," he said. That's not a question, he's definitely saying that but for what reasons? Because she beg the Emperor, she deserves to die?!

"Y-Yes Your Majesty."

"You may bring her back."

That's the only thing he said and he let us go. That was close, maybe he's planning something. I really need to train hard.

"I'm sorry Lily," I whispered. This is all my fault. I went there without thinking. I might have a child's body but I am mentally an adult. Why I didn't use my brain?! Now, we are both in trouble.

"No princess. None of this your fault. Don't blame yourself," she whispered. She said those words back then...before she was executed.

She's right. None of this my fault. My mother wanted me to live. From now on, I should think for myself and for those people I care about. We are the only ones that matter.

It's better to be a little bit selfish than to die just like that. I don't want to be a pitiful princess nor a forgotten one. Everyone should know my name. I am Athanasia de Alger Obelia.

THIRD PERSON'S POV

"You're still here?" Claude asked Felix.

"I wanted to tell you something, Sire." Felix said.

"What is it?" Clause asked. He noticed that the knight has been acting strangely ever since he met the child.

"I didn't know that the child is still alive and worse you made her live in the Ruby palace!" Felix said quite annoyed in the Emperor's indifference.

"What's the point of telling you? Is it that important? That child is that wench daughter, she's nothing but a filthy bug," Claude said. He didn't care about that child and he would never care. In fact, it is much better if he didn't saw that child.

"But Sire. She's still your child! If you just saw the situation in the Ruby Palace, you would understand! You're still the Father!" Felix argued. He wanted to at least help the princess in his way. And this is the only thing he could do.

"That bug will never be my daughter,"  Claude said. Felix's eyes widened, he clench his fist and took a deep breath.

"Deny it all you want but her looks and her jeweled-eyes is saying a different story," Felix muttered. It's hard to understand the Emperor who wanted to remove his emotions, sure he's hurt but did he really want his daughter to suffer and end up like him. In fact, those two are the same. Their father hated them, and they will do everything to make them suffer. He thought he will be different than his father but his wrong. He always overestimate his friend.

"It doesn't matter," Claude argued. Why the knight is consistent, he didn't understand.

"It matter. Especially when it comes to the heir of the throne. Remember the nobles? They've been talking about an heir. What about Duke Alpheus, he's been yapping about that and you hated it."  Felix didn't want to talk about the throne but that's the only way to help the young princess.

"What do you want me to do?" Claude resigned. This guy would never stop blabbering.

"Let's go to the Ruby palace and Your Majesty, please assess the situation yourself," Felix smiled. He finally get Claude's attention.