chapter 5

The time flew and Friday arrived. I still haven't decided whether I should let him appear in my livestream and today I had to let him know. And the worst of all, my parents are visiting and I'm sure they'll stay the whole weekend. What should I do? Do I have to cancel this week's broadcast or send my parents back? But I couldn't do that, we haven't seen each other for so long and I was excited for their visit.

I sighed frustrated. I wasn't going anywhere with this! It was morning and after washing up and dressing myself I grabbed my bag and left my apartment after properly locking the door. I went to work as usual. Later on the bus I remembered I didn't eat breakfast but couldn't care less. This happened quite often, but it's nothing I couldn't handle.

These past few days Oliver acted like nothing happened and I was irritated by that. He would often greet me with a big smile on his lips, which he always somehow had, and I politely greeted him back every time.

But that was it. It seemed like he was ignoring me, he realized he annoyed me by being in my presence and left me some space. And I'm glad for that! It's just... sometimes I wish he would say more. I was confused by my own thinking, but shrugged it off. It must be because he's kind and cheerful every time we cross ways, doesn't matter to who he's talking at that moment.

I entered the building and made my way to the elevator. Waiting for it to arrive I could suddenly feel a person approach me, so I curiously looked around and was met with someone who's face I desperately didn't want to see. „Hey there, Max!" Oliver said grinning like an idiot. How could he keep that fake smile on for so long?

„Hello." I answered nonchalantly avoiding eye contact and he said no more. Then I heard a ding and the door opened. Both of us walked in and I raised my hand to press the button with the number 9. He did that too at the same time and my heart skipped a beat when our fingers brushed against each other. What is wrong with me?!

Oliver kept quiet and so did I. But that wasn't the case on my inside. My heart started beating loud in this silent space and I just hoped for him to not hear it.

The silent was awkward. Was he as uncomfortable as me? I wasn't sure if I should speak up or leave it as it is.

And then my stomach growled. Loud and clear. I just wanted to dissolve. Or for a hole in the ground to suck me in. Just anything making me disappear. I blushed embarrassed. I should've eaten something.

I looked up at him and noticed his amused face as he smirked. That bastard! I looked away and he started talking right after. „Are you hungry? Want to go buy something together at the cafeteria?"

This wasn't such a bad idea so I nodded hesitantly. „If you want." On the floor we worked was also a cafeteria, which was very convenient. I would sometimes buy a snack there, but due to the prices being high, I haven't been there for some time already. Finally the elevator stopped and we walked out, heading to our destination.

He chose a cookie and an apple juice. I see he has quite the sweet tooth. I ordered a coffee to help me wake up and a simple sandwich. When I reached for my wallet I couldn't find it anywhere and started panicking.

„I'll be paying for both of us." he stated. „You don't have to, I'm sure my money is somewhere here..." I searched for it some more but still nothing. „It's okay, you don't have to pay me back." I felt bad but what could I do? I was hungry and thirsty as well and there was no other way to pay. „Thank you." I uttered. And I meant that, not a lot of people here would be this generous.

Walking next to each other, we made our way back to our desks. When we arrived at my seat I thanked him once more and he said it was nothing. He then walked off to do his stuff and I was left feeling lonely once again.

„Okay, time to do some work, I'm late on schedule." I talked to myself.

***

Time passed quickly and I could feel my phone ringing in my pocket. I took it out and found out it was my mother calling me. „Yes, mom?"

„Hey Max! I'm sorry to inform you, but there is a lot of traffic on the way, so dad and I will probably arrive around 10 in the evening, I hope you don't mind." „Of course not, mom! It's not your fault after all." I was a bit disappointed but there was nothing I could do. At least I had time to tell Oliver about the decision I made.

„Thank you and see you soon!" After she hung up, I put my phone back in my pocket and continued with my work.

After half an hour or so I heard knocking and snapped out of my trance. I blinked a few times, before looking at the person who was making these sounds. I locked eyes with Oliver, who was knocking on my desk with his hand. „I called your name but you didn't hear me." he explained. I couldn't blame him, this happens to me quite often while working, when I'm too focused.

„Sorry, I didn't hear you." I apologized and sighed right after. I drank the coffee I bought, more like he bought, but the tiredness didn't go away. I glanced over to the clock hanging on the wall and was relieved when it showed 6 pm. Soon I'll be able to go home.

„After you finish meet me in front of the building. I'll be waiting." I guess it was time for me to tell him my answer. „Okay." I tried telling him with a tone like I didn't care, but wasn't sure if it sounded the way I wanted it to. After I told him that, he walked off and I picked up where I left off.

It didn't take me long at all. I quickly packed my stuff and took the elevator down. I hurried to the entrance and stopped in my tracks when I saw him standing there through the glass door, his back facing me. I took a deep breath and opened it. At the sound he turned around to look at me and smiled.

„You probably know what I wanna talk with you about, right?" I swallowed and nodded, making his grin grow. „So? What is your answer?" He waited in anticipation whilst I thought about how to respond. „You can participate... but I can't broadcast this Saturday, because of my parents coming back and sleeping at my house." „That's okay. Next weekend then?" We both agreed and after saying goodbye, we parted ways.

Phew! That went better than I expected.

After arriving at home, the sun was already setting. I glanced out the window and was met with a beautiful sunset, the sky covered in many colors from orange to purple. This was my favorite time of the day. My mind would always go blank while admiring the colorful sky, like today. And the day before. And the day before before...

All of a sudden the door bell rang. Who could this possibly be? Maybe my parents were finally here! Excited I kind of jumped over to the entrance door and opened it. My smile grew after seeing the people standing there and waiting for me to let them in.

„Mom!" I ran up to her and hugged her tightly. „Dad!" After letting her go I hugged my father. „You're finally here!" „Of course we are!" My mother laughed loud. Maybe a bit too loud, so as to not bother my neighbors, I told them to come in.

„How was the ride?" I asked curious. „It was fine, a bit boring because of the long traffic." My father answered with a pleasant smile. Like that we talked for some more, while making our way to the living room. We got seated on the couch, laughing and telling one another various stories from our daily lives. I missed hanging out with family and telling them about how I'm doing. I could always tell them anything and their response never disappointed me.

After looking at the clock and realizing it was late, they told me they ate a meal on the way here, so we washed up and I prepared their beds.

„Good night." After hearing these words and saying them back I felt at ease and easily drifted off to sleep.