chapter 10

Over three weeks passed and nothing much had changed. We meet up on Saturday every week for the livestream, jerk each other off on camera, earn a lot of money and Oliver always stays the night. The next day we go to the store to buy groceries and afterwards we sometimes go to the park and chat. We started to grow closer each day and I noticed too late how attached I became to him. At work we talk more than we used to, it became harder to focus on work as he kept coming to my desk all the time, but not even once did I tell him to stop bothering me.

The truth is I enjoy the time we spend together. He makes me often smile with those stupid jokes of his. I haven't felt this happy in a while, waking up well rested every morning and excited to go to work, which was new to me. It might be because he's the only friend I've had since I graduated. A few people did try to approach me in those lonely years, but I never felt truly comfortable with them and they usually left not too long after getting bored of me. The reason being that I wasn't very talkative. But could you blame me?

But Oliver was different. He didn't leave me yet and always approaches me first. He's also the one to start the conversations, but that doesn't seem to bother him.

He was my first friend in a while and that made me feel warm inside just thinking about it. But it wasn't the other way around. Oliver is popular. He chats with almost everyone at our department and there's not a single person who doesn't like him. I always feel weird inside seeing him turn away from me and start a conversation with the person that approached him. Couldn't he just turn them down, let them know he was busy talking to me? It always pissed me off, but I never knew why.

Was I jealous that he had more friends than I ever did and how easy it was for him to meet new ones?

Maybe.

Oliver and I never texted that's why I was surprised when my phone lit up and a message with his name popped up on the screen. I immediately opened his text and read it.

Hey Max, I've been wanting to hang out with you somewhere other than at work for some time now. The livestreams and shopping on Sundays don't count. What do you think about dinner this Friday? Let me know asap :)

I was unsure about what to write as a reply. We were friends, no? And it's true that friends don't only see each other at work. But dinner on Friday? That was tomorrow and too soon! I hesitated before typing in my answer.

Sure, send me the time and place.

He read my message almost instantly and sent me the address.

We can go right after work, I'll drive us there.

I sighed and put away my phone, sinking into the couch. It was evening now and I glanced at the clock on the wall. After finding out it was 9 pm I decided to wash up and go to sleep.

I laid down on my bed and slipped under the covers. I suddenly had the urge to read so I opened the book my parents brought me the last time they visited and started reading.

After an hour passed my eye lids began to close and I knew it was time to put away the book and go to sleep. I need to look good for tomorrow evening after all.

I turned off the light and darkness consumed me almost immediately.

***

I sat at my table, but couldn't focus at all. Evening was nearing and I couldn't help but feel nervous. What if it turns out to be awkward and I'll lose another friend? No, it's different this time. Oliver is different. I have a feeling the dinner will turn out good.

And I'm not talking about the food.

Some time passed and I didn't notice Oliver walking up to me as he spoke up. "You finished?" "Yeah, almost. Just give me a minute, I'll send it real quick." I replied not taking my eyes off the computer screen.