chapter 28

Oliver's POV

"Oliver, we're sorry."

My mouth was threatening to fall open. I was left completely speechless and dumbfounded by their apology. An apology that I didn't expect from my parents at all. This wasn't like them. I never got to hear them apologize. Never.

Only now, after many years passed do they finally change. And not even on their own! Only after the people around them realized their mistakes, did they finally too. And it took them a while. However, the past can't be undone. The pain they caused me can't be erased and the terrible memories can't be forgotten.

This apology meant almost nothing to me. These people ruined my childhood. My teenage years. And even after I escaped them as an adult did I have a hard time. At the beginning I was barley making a living for myself.

And now after causing me all that suffering they dare show up in my life and throw this half assed apology at me? I can't forgive them! They don't deserve it!

My angry expression must have been apparent because I felt Max place his hand on my thigh to calm me down. His worried face and those brown eyes tried to comfort me and I have to admit it was working.

My anger was slowly sinking and I was starting to think rationally once again. I glanced up at my parents and did my best to keep on a poker face. I couldn't let them know they managed to shake me up like this.

"I... I can't forgive you this easily. You've treated me badly for such a long time and after a single meeting and apology you expect me to forgive you? Although I hate you from the depths of my heart... you're still my parents. So... I'll need some time. To process it and get used to it. Maybe... in some far away future... we could sit together like this... like a family...," I finished my speech and my sight dropped down to my fidgeting hands.

"Oh... that's okay. We weren't expecting you to forgive us immediately," Cassandra admitted. "Yeah, we will wait as long as necessary," father added and I was beginning to grow even more uncomfortable. My eyes stayed on my fingers, too afraid to look up and face my parents whose expressions I wasn't ready to see.

This was all so unusual. The old them would never say such a thing. They'd never utter these gentle words! This whole meeting they've acted... weird. Too kind and understanding. Nothing like their old selves.

Just in that moment, as if on cue, a waiter arrived, holding our meals in his hands. The man placed the plates on the table and we thanked him. Once he walked away, silence fell upon us again.

Grabbing the cutlery, I decided to try the steak I ordered and after me everyone else joined in. The clinking of cutlery and calm music in the background were the only noises that could be heard and it was definitely better than silence.

***

"That was delicious," my mother exclaimed and wiped her mouth with a tissue after finishing her course. "This place never disappoints," Henry agreed, looking satisfied. So was I, but I didn't want them to find out I enjoyed the dinner they paid for.

Wiping my mouth as well, I shot my boyfriend next to me a glance and watched as he brought his last piece of noodles to his mouth and swallowed it whole. That sight made me remember a distant memory from the days we first met. When he went down on me... A faint blush spread on my face and I had a hard time controlling my expression. Not here, Oliver! What are you thinking?!

"It wasn't bad," I declared and leaned back into my seat. "Well, since we've finished our meal and you've said your part, it's time for me and my boyfriend to go." I gazed at Max and gave him a nod, signaling him it was time to get out of here. He nodded back and we stood up.

"W-wait, Oliver! Don't you want to stay longer? For dessert maybe?" My mother's voice sounded nervous and it was clear she wanted me to stay. "No, thank you," I answered and turned to leave.

Without looking back I stated, "We'll be leaving now." Max followed me without a word and we both exited the restaurant without looking back. I didn't feel bad. Not at all. This wasn't comparable to my suffering in the slightest.

So why?

Why are my eyes watering? Why are these stupid tears threatening to spill? This is what they deserve! I made the right call!

Hurriedly, I walked up to my car and unlocked it. Opening the door, I hopped into the driver's seat and slammed it behind me. Max beside me flinched at the impact and turned to face me with pity evident in his eyes.

Yet he didn't utter a word. He knew I wasn't in the mood to talk about it, so I started the car and drove off in silence.

Only when we arrived at my house did he speak up.

"Oliver... are you okay?" he asked worriedly.

I thought I was doing fine holding the tears in. I thought I got over it and could now act like I normally do. But apparently I couldn't. The second those words left his mouth, I gave up and let it all out. I cried my heart out in his comforting arms as it all came crashing down on me.

All those forgotten memories were returning to me. Where my father slapped me so hard it left a bruise after I dropped a plate and destroyed it. Or when my mother acted kind in front of others and then yelled at me the second we were alone. I was punished for every tiny mistake I accidentally made. I always walked on eggshells around my parents, never talking back and trying my best to please them. So they wouldn't always be so mad at me.

But to no avail. No matter how hard I tried to act like their well mannered son, it just wasn't enough. I was never good enough for them. They never acknowledged my efforts. It didn't matter what grades I got or what competitions I won. They were never proud of me.

Only because I was attracted to the same gender. So what? Why is it such a problem? I don't get why you hate me...