Chapter Twenty Eight | Do Talk Gently

Chloe couldn't concentrate during the reading. She acted like she didn't want to do it and made Dallon do the reading.

With the help of the staff members, Dallon rounded up residents and brought them over in front of the tv where there were comfy chairs and a couch. They needed to pull up additional chairs to accompany all the residents.

There were three in wheelchairs, so they put them in window spaces between the other chairs. Making sure everybody could see fully and enjoy it all well.

Chloe asked for some paper and a pen from one of the staff members and sat down at a nearby table to write down things Dallon would need to make the presentation of the paper. She didn't want to seem rude to the residents if they noticed. So she kept herself busy.

She even went over to one of the staff members to see if she could take pictures. She let them know they wouldn't be shared publicly more than just in the classroom.

Thankfully they allowed it, so Chloe spent some time doing that while Dallon read.

But in reality, her thoughts kept racing.

Dallon's grandma lives in a retirement home - in memory care, as she learned talking to the staff. Why did Dallon never mention this?

Chloe knows she's probably the last person Dallon would want to open up to, but still. Here they are.

Sure it was Chloe's idea to read to a retirement home, but there were many within a short drive. And even in this building, there are residents without special memory care needs.

This means Dallon didn't need to pick the place where his grandma lives if he didn't want to.

Why was Dallon opening up like this to her?

Chloe decided to keep quiet during their time at the retirement home. Dutifully taking notes on what Dallon was reading, how many residents were gathered up, and how many residents were listening.

Some of them were interested. They looked so alert, watching Dallon with a smile on their face, nodding along with what he was saying and laughing during the funny moments.

At the end of each short story, Dallon would stop and discuss the reading. The residents loved that. They loved having somebody to talk to and do something different than their normal mundane routine of sitting around the tv.

There was one resident that stood out a lot. She had a giant smile on her face and her eyes just lit up when she looked at Dallon.

She reached out excitedly to him when they walked in, practically jumping out of her seat.

It didn't take too much to understand that she was Dallon's grandma.

Even though she's in memory care and the receptionist said she doesn't remember Dallon and their visits, it sure looks like she remembers him right now.

Chloe knew very little about memory care and dementia. But she did know there are good days and there are bad days. Today must be a good day.

Soon enough it was time for them to go. The allotted time was over and it was time to go back to the school.

Chloe carefully gathered up all her notes and threw them in her oversized purse. She stood up and pushed her chair into the table while putting her purse over her shoulder.

She moved so she was just behind the chairs, close to the hallway by the exit door. Waiting for Dallon to finish everything up and say goodbye.

Before he left, he hugged his grandma and whispered something to her. Whatever it was, caused a huge grin on her face.