Chapter Four | Don't Talk Back

"I am just so pissed off right now!" Chloe exclaimed slamming her bag down on the table in the common area at lunch.

Mia and Ana stopped their conversation and turned their heads towards Chloe. Their previously happy and easy-going faces have disappeared, in their place where uneasiness and a hint of fear. The fear was more prominent in Ana's eyes for obvious reasons.

"Why? What happened?" It was Mia who asked. That was a smart choice to have her speak out. Chloe may present herself with a tough exterior that is hard to pass - and without emotions - but she seems to soften whenever Mia talks.

This was no exception.

Chloe felt her anger fade a bit as she looked at Mia. However, she remembered why she was so angry and those feeling returned. "You'll never guess what happened!"

Chloe started messing with her high ponytail as she waited for them to respond. Once two minutes passed without them responding, she looked up. Both of the girls were still staring at her.

"You are supposed to guess what happened," Chloe deadpanned without emotion in her voice and shaking her head. Who knew that she had to break things down and explain everything all the time? These things are so obvious.

The girls started talking together at once. Even though Chloe could figure out what they were saying - or who was saying what - she was happy. It made her feel better. Almost like all of the control was back in her hands and people were bending over backward to please her.

The world was back in her hands and things were back in order.

Or at least that's what she thought.

Chloe didn't hear talking anymore, so she turned back in to try to figure it out. Once she looked at the girls in front of her, she noticed that they were staring at something behind Chloe with open mouths and shocked faces.

Of course, Chloe turned around to see what they were looking at. However, she wishes she didn't as soon as she looked around.

Standing behind her was no one other than Dallon Kylander.

Chloe rolled her eyes and moved back around, facing the table. She opened her mouth to talk to her friends, but a voice she was starting to hate talked instead.

"Chloe, can I talk to you?" Dallon asked.

Chloe pinched her eyes shut before responding, "No, you cannot do that. Now leave me alone."

"But we need to work on this assignment," Dallon's stupid voice started up again.

Chloe barely heard what he said. She was too busy standing up and turning to face him. "Excuse me, but did you seriously talk back to me? What made you think you could do that?" She all but shouted at him, complete with her hand planted on her hips.

At the table, the girls were still silent. As far as Chloe knew - and hoped - they were sitting there, still like statues with shock written on their faces.

"That's the part of a conversation. A person needs to explain what they are doing in a situation. That is all that I was doing. I wasn't trying to talk back to you," Dallon said, explaining himself with his hands raised in fake surrender.

"Oh, for fricks sakes, put your hands down," Chloe snapped, swatting his arms. As she tried to ignore how amazing her hands felt on his biceps she continued, "you cannot talk back to me. I don't care what kind of reasons you think you can come up with. It is not okay."

Dallon raised his hand up, Chloe just stared at him until he raised an eyebrow.

"What?" She snapped again.