3

There was nothing I loved more than games and pep rallies. I loved performing, seeing the school spirit, and just enjoying the moment.

Plus my favorite part was the fact that we were allowed to wear our cheer uniforms on game days. I felt so cute in my skirt and high ponytail. 

Today was going to be so much fun.

The Friday night lights, being with the cheer team, it was going to be a good day.

"Well if it isn't Madame President." a voice began as I walked into a near-empty classroom. 

I came to class early to just have peace and quiet.

It was something I couldn't have at home with my parents nagging me.

"Look at you in your cute skirt." Hayden began. " you actually have nice legs. I can't wait to watch you cheer for me in the spring."

I rolled my eyes. "It's seven in the morning and I won't be cheering for you."

I sat down at my desk and just took a minute to breathe. It was nice to scroll through Pinterest and other apps. Doing nothing was fun. 

"No insults for me, Carroway?" Hayden wondered.

"It's seven in the morning." I repeated. "And you sound pretty hot when you shut up."

He scoffed. "Good one."

Then the light flipped on, "Well if it isn't my two star students!"

"I appreciate the compliment, but it's only the tenth day of school Mr. Lopez. We haven't even had a quiz yet, how do you know that? Carroway might be one of your worst students." he spoke.

I rolled my eyes.

"Actually, Rowan had the highest grade in my tenth-grade biology classes her sophomore year. Also, you had the highest grade in my eleventh-grade physics class last year." Mr. Lopez informed him.

I turned to face Hayden. "Heard that? Maybe you can use this class to figure out why you're such a pain. I'm sure your mom regrets having you."

He stared at me. "You sure about that? Didn't your sister out do you?"

"Sloane didn't win class president so no." I turned around.

He knew how to hit you where it hurt.

"I guess this would be a good time to tell you two that you'll be partners for a project in October." Mr. Lopez announced. 

My jaw dropped. "Mr. Lopez, why?"

"I'd rather cut every inch of grass on the football field with scissors than be partners with her." Hayden spoke up.

I rolled my eyes.

"I'm going in alphabetical order. Hayden Brooks, Rowan Carroway, Alissa Collins, I could keep going. Don't kill each other before then." he explained.

Kill me.

Even though he pissed me off at seven in the morning, I didn't let him ruin my day. I had so much fun cheering at the pep rally and under those Friday night lights.

I couldn't believe that this was my last first football game.

Time was slipping through my fingers.

"Did you see that Hayden was at the game tonight?" Hannah asked me as we packed our things up after the game.

I shot her a look. "Be for real."

Her eyes got wide. "Shit, I forgot."

"But you've known him since the sixth grade?" she questioned me.