19

The amount of work I put into the senior retreat was kind of ridiculous. From finding charter buses to games to this fucking speech. I didn't want for this to be some generic retreat hat people would forget about in a couple of months.

I wanted it to be memorable from the senior swag bags that had a shirt, water bottle, and other goodies to staying cabins.

This better be the best damn retreat of my classmates' lives. 

Because Rowan fucking Carroway planned it.

"What bus are you on?" Ivy questioned me.

I wanted everyone to get out of their comfort zone with their friend groups, so everyone was split between three buses.

I held up two fingers. "Bus two."

"Boo, I'm on bus three." she groaned. "Hannah is on bus two so have fun with that."

"This is a time to make new friends! Hell, even talk to people you haven't spoken to in forever. This is going to be a great retreat." I told her 

Ivy shook her head. "You're so oddly chipper about this. It's literally 6 in the morning."

"Because I planned most of  it so I know it's going to be great."

Then one of our chaperones' voices came over on the megaphone and began to speak about how we should begin boarding the bus. After all, we had a relatively an hour and a half drive ahead of us. 

I got on the bus and sat down next to the window.  I was one of the first people on and I was happy about that. The fact that I was running on four hours of sleep was starting to hit me.

"Good morning to my favorite president." Hannah smiled as she sat down next to me.

Guess, I wasn't sleeping anytime soon.

I gave her a small smile. "Morning, Han."

She put her stuff in the overhead bin and sat down next to me. "Are you excited?"

"Super," I responded. "I think it's going to be a good memory. Have you decided where you're going to college yet?" 

Hannah shook her head. "Ask me next week."

I let Hannah talk my ear off about how she planned on building her college wardrobe. I wasn't really listening, but I did try. I didn't want to come off as a super shitty friend. I just couldn't stop thinking about how much I wanted to sleep. 

"Good morning, Carroway." a voice spoke up.

I zoned back into real life and looked up at him. 

"Morning Hayden." I greeted him.

Of course, we were on the same bus.

"Hi Hannah," he said to her as he walked to the back of the bus. 

There was this little sting. 

The fact that I knew that Hayden and Hannah were a thing at one point. It didn't matter if it was real to him or not. The fact that they had something before just kept me kind of reserved.

Was this crazy? Maybe a little, but I couldn't help the fact that it hurt.

I could feel Hannah looking at me.

"Are you good?" Hannah asked me.

I glanced over at her and nodded. "Just a little tired."

We both stared at our surroundings for a while before she spoke up.

"He likes you Rowan." Hannah said quietly. 

"He's liked you for a while. Even a blind man could see it.  He looks for you in crowded rooms,  he smiles after you say something slick and witty, the way he calls you Carroway, and you can deny it if you want to - you both can- but I know it when I see it."