26

My hometown was over eighteen hours from Austin, Texas.

I liked that.

After eighteen years, Charlotte started to feel pretty small. I was always recognized as Patrick or Nicole's daughter, Sloane's younger sister, or that class president from Trinity.

But here in Texas, I could finally have a fresh start and leave high school behind. Well, not completely since Hayden was going to UT Austin, but that wasn't going to stop me.

When I got off the plane, I was greeted by my host family which was really just my future roommate's family. 

After months of facetiming, texting, and liking each other's Instagram posts, we finally got to meet in person.

"Rowan!" she exclaimed as I walked down to baggage claim.

I smiled so big. "Naomi!"

She had the biggest curliest hair, the whitest and straightest teeth (her dad is an orthodontist), and the most perfect skin (her mom is a dermatologist). Even though it was through a phone screen, Naomi Coleman and I clicked instantly. 

We were both cheerleaders, black girls going to the same PWI, and we both loved coffee and the color pink.

"We're going to have so much fun!" she jumped up and down.

She moved away and motioned toward a tall Black woman with perfect skin, box braids, and she was wearing a cute matching set. "This is my mom, Lisa. Mom this is the one and only Rowan."

Mrs. Coleman immediately pulled me into a hug. "Nao has told me so much about you! We're so excited to have you."

"Thank you for having me, Mrs. Coleman!" I expressed my gratitude.

"Oh, please. it's my pleasure." that reminded me of a Chick Fil A employee. 

We got into a blacked out Range Rover SUV and started the drive to a local restaurant they wanted to take me to.

"Rowan, have you ever been to Texas?" Mrs. Coleman wondered.

I nodded my head. "Dallas, Houston, and of course Austin."

"You're going to love it here," Naomi assured me. "Plus, when we get tired of cafeteria food, we can just go to my house and eat. Right, mom?"

She snickered. "We will see about that."

We were seated at a table on the patio. I was surprised by how nice the weather was. I definitely could have worn shorts.  

"What are you majoring in sweetheart?" Mrs. Coleman asked me.

"Marketing major with a double minor in economics and real estate." I responded.

She looked pleased. "I love a good business woman. I'm sure you know Naomi is my mini. she's trying to take over my practice when she gets older. Do you have any siblings?"

I knew Naomi had three other siblings too. A twin brother named Micah, a 13 year old sister named Alaia, and a 8 year old sister named Simone. We bonded over our big families and the fact that the birth order matched. 

But I hated this question. Did Riley count or not?

"I'm the youngest of four. There's Shawn, Riley, and Sloane." I spoke. I didn't want the 'oh your sister died so young' sad face right now. 

And she would always be my sister.

"Oh, that's funny." Mrs. Coleman chuckled. "You know, you're so beautiful and my son Micah is also going to UT Austin to play football. He's pretty good, he got offers from Alabama. Did I mention that he is so handsome?"